D&D General Are the best days of your campaign world ahead or behind?

Shiroiken

Legend
In your campaign world, are the best days ahead or behind?

I feel like the default assumption in a lot of D&D campaign worlds is that the best days were in the past. The world is filled with ruins of great civilizations, old powerful magics, and ancient creatures trying to recapture or hoard the power they once had.

Is that true for your campaign world?
"Best days" is really subjective, given that most ancient cultures became decadent and corrupt, leading to their eventual fall. The Suel Imperium & Baklunish Empire, then Keoland & the Great Kingdom show this is likely an endless cycle of humanity, to be repeated until the end of the Oerth.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I always enjoy the debate about if the "best days" are behind or ahead. Have we surpassed the Golden Age of Television, or is it somewhere in the future? Were the best days of humanity our millennia of hunting and gathering, or is there some utopia awaiting us?

Anyways, this thread is not about those two things.

In your campaign world, are the best days ahead or behind?

I feel like the default assumption in a lot of D&D campaign worlds is that the best days were in the past. The world is filled with ruins of great civilizations, old powerful magics, and ancient creatures trying to recapture or hoard the power they once had.

Is that true for your campaign world?
Ahead. Always. LoTR is the only property I’ve ever enjoyed where the best days were behind, and even then it’s more that both future and past are bright. It’s about holding on and holding eachother up and keeping the faith in order to get through the darkness back into the light.

My D&D games especially, I may have some cultures beleive that the past was better and all the Great Heroes are long dead and all that, but they are wrong.

I've got two campaigns in the works and the best times are ahead in both of them. The first takes place just as the worlds are finally recovering from a multi planet war that ended with the sudden disappearance of the war's most detestable faction. The second takes place within the last city left standing on a continent wracked by magical storms. The city has become a magical and mercantile hot spot that is seeking to finally right the wrongs of its past. In both campaigns I'm trying for a more hopeful outlook compared to the doom and gloom, prevent the apocalypse stuff I've run before.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
The first campaign in my world was dealing with the aftereffects of an ending World War.

The second campaign is dealing with stopping a rampaging Theocratic Empire of Tempus who wasn't tired of fighting when everyone else wanted to rebuild and have some peace.

Id say the world is due for the fighting to go small scale once the second campaign winds down so Imm saying one empire falling away from a golden age.

Peter BOSCO'S

Adventurer
Behind. I am running in Primeval Thule so the campaign world (Greenland) is doomed to be covered in ice, possibly within the lifetime of longer-lived characters.

Yora

Legend
Really no clue, actually. What my setting is about is that the worst day are behind, and all power strugles revolve around ensuring they don't come back. Short term personal interests are overridden by a shared effort to prevent a new conqueror to create another empire. And then it's back to turn against each other.
While the Empire was the worst days, it's also where most of the magic and treasures come from, which makes poking around in old ruins for riches an even less respectable occupation.
Whether things have reached their peak yet isn't on people's minds. It's about not letting it get that bad again.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases