Are There Any Games Designed for Play-by-Post or Email?

Kinneus

Explorer
I'm wondering if there has every been a roleplaying game (or even a strategy game) specifically designed to be played over the Internet in a play-by-post or play-by-email fashion. I'm sure it would be a super niche product, I'm just wondering if it exists anywhere.

Trogdor1992

First Post
I actually play a game by email, it's basically a game of "this is your situation, what will you do?" And I'm having a blast, very light on stats and such though.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
I doubt an RPG has ever specifically been created for PbEM or PbP. The problem usually comes when it's time for combat. Granted, there are several platforms for a more active online tabletop, many of which are also free.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I actually play a game by email, it's basically a game of "this is your situation, what will you do?" And I'm having a blast, very light on stats and such though.

That's similar to our PBEMs. It's more of a collaborative storytelling with a narrative, rather than numerical character sheet. They're tons of fun.

Bagpuss

Legend
En Garde is the only one I've played, and own.

We had about 15 players in the local games club that would do a turn a week, along side playing whatever normal game they were playing. At the start of the night you would get a page with the results of last week, then you would submit your turn either by the end of the night (something you could do during a break) or at some point during the week.

I've also seen it played at conventions between the various sessions so a turn every 4 hours or so.

Last edited:

Remove ads