• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Are Wizards really all that?

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I can't follow this reasoning from a logical perspective.
The point is to put aside the argument that an effect is exactly as powerful as it seems from a realistic perspective. I'm basically saying that magic has to be considered on its own merits and not by referencing a real-life equivalent.
You're basically saying that because the fly spell isn't the same as flying in an airplane, it isn't as powerful as it seems?

That because comprehend languages is different from Google Translate, that the spell isn't as good?
I'm saying that a spell should be seen as it is in the game and not as its effect is in real life.

We can't compare fly to an airplane because they don't have that as a reference. But we can compare it to an airship.
Moreover, the wizard can accomplish things that would be impossible by even our modern real world standards, meaning that those abilities are vastly better than anything in the real world.
Again, I want to separate the idea of "what a wizard can do in real life." Because a wizard doesn't exist in real life. And even if they did, their effects can't simply be compared to real-life equivalences.

Fanaelialae

Legend
The point is to put aside the argument that an effect is exactly as powerful as it seems from a realistic perspective. I'm basically saying that magic has to be considered on its own merits and not by referencing a real-life equivalent.

I'm saying that a spell should be seen as it is in the game and not as its effect is in real life.

We can't compare fly to an airplane because they don't have that as a reference. But we can compare it to an airship.

Again, I want to separate the idea of "what a wizard can do in real life." Because a wizard doesn't exist in real life. And even if they did, their effects can't simply be compared to real-life equivalences.
Ummm... pretty sure no one was trying to argue that meteor swarm is powerful because real world meteors are powerful.

Whether or not it was intended as such, this seems like a total strawman argument.

I think I may have seen the argument that dropping meteors on your enemies for big damage is awesome from the perspective of the narrative of combat, and that the fighter really doesn't have any equivalents despite combat being the fighter's pillar to supposedly shine in. But that's a completely different argument.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
The spell might be "solidly balanced and appropriate for its tier" (which is Tier 2 for those keeping track at home) - but it gives you far more strategic control and versatility than is present in the entire fighter and barbarian classes combined. It's not especially out of line with other 5th level spells, but it is one of the ways that having a wizard in the party adds so much more to the capabilities than a fighter. After all swinging a sword is fair and balanced for tier 1.
Most campaigns (83%) only use tiers 1-4 and 5-8.

Some stragglers (12%) linger on to 9-12.

I count 9-12 as a separate tier for flavor reasons as the old school "name levels", and for mechanical reason of more impacting class features. The tier 9-12 differs significantly in both feel and capability from 5-8.

The Teleportation Circle is the kind of thing that happens during the 9-12 "Master tier", when players are guildmasters, knights in charge of fortresses, heads of wizard schools, and so on.

The Teleportation Circle is an excellent spell in every way: awesome for flavor and unusable in combat.

Most D&D 5e campaigns (83%) will never ever cast the Teleportation Circle spell.

The lower tiers (1-4 Student, 5-8 Professional, and 9-12 Master) comprise 95% of the entire existence of 5e.

Only 5% of campaigns reach the upper tiers of 13-16 and 17-20, nevermind epic.

Complaints about high-level spells are mostly irrelevant because only a small percentage of D&D players ever reach the level to cast them.

I myself love upper tier characters and adventures, so I care very much about balance. Teleportation Circle isnt and cant be one of the issues.

5e designers did a thuro job removing from 5e the spells from earlier editions that proved to be broken. Unfortunately there are still many crap spells in 5e. But if a player knows how to avoid trap options the game is fine. Also 5e is tough by design and hard to break.

The only 5e spell that might be truly broken is Forcecage. Enough Fighter players complain about that spell specifically, and it seems broken enough to make the game less fun. Spells that are more powerful than other spells in the same slot and deserve to move to a higher slot are Bless and Wish, but they arent actually broken. Maybe with the Inspiration advantage becoming more normal, the Bless spell will be less of a big deal in comparison. Wish can be a uniquely slot-10 spell, rather than slot-9, or be even a level 20 capstone for any caster class. The only safe way to Wish is by duplicating a lower level spell which heightens versatility but balances mechanically. Any other use is DM whim.

But is it truly something different? Because if we take away the large numbers, all it is is damage over an area. The only thing that makes it unique is pretty much the scope of what it does, but it's not inherently unique.

And that's great! A wizard/sorcerer/etc. is okay having something with larger scope. But recognize that the fighter also gets "something common" but in a larger scope as well, that being single target damage.

Just like how fireball goes to meteor swarm. A single extra attack from a fighter goes to three with added accuracy, damage, and even extra effects depending on the subclass.

Sure, that would make some sense if the Wizard's only spells were increasingly better AoE damage spells. You have the big single target damage dealer vs. the medium damage AoE. The whole point is not only do Wizard's get to AoE damage if they would like to but also can choose other ways to win at combat than damage, movement, infiltrate, gather information, etc. And these effects are even more "different" than what the Fighter can do.

Not all at once all the time sure. But combat ability and 1 or 2 of these other things is still more versatile than "big attacking damage" which is the only thing a Fighter can choose.

And the combat ability of the Wizard is close enough (and sometimes better depending on the circumstances) that it doesn't justify the Fighter getting no other major class abilites than "doing attacking damage"

In a large-scale perspective, sure. But that's only really when you flip through the spellcasting section as if all caster classes get all spells.

In reality, when you choose a class, you're fairly restricted. What you could theoretically choose doesn't matter because you can practically choose only so many spells. This is where the term Quantum Wizard comes from, which I'm sure you're familiar.

And even if you pick up every spell in your class somehow, you still can't do everything. A wizard can't heal unless they use Wish, which is a massive waste. A cleric hardly has any access to teleportation spells. A druid is vying for large AoE spells.

Wizards are utility masters, that's a fact, but their magic is often overblown when their effects actually are risky and have a large potential for failure or their effects can be acheived through mundane means.

This is the back and forth for the last 40 pages.

Fighter = class abilities make it good at one form of winning combat
Wizard = class abilities make it potentially good at winning combat in several ways AND/OR potentially good at other stuff as well

Based on playstyle, preferences, house rules, etc. some people think the Wizard has to give up a lot to be good at combat and other stuff and some peope think it's not so hard at higher levels given spell slots and the ability to choose your 2 new spells per level. Some people acknowledge there is a gap and don't care. Some people think attacking to lower HP is a good enough niche for the Fighter. Some think since everyone is pretty good at combat, you have to either make the Fighter so much better at winning combat or give it something else.

These camps will never agree or be persuaded to see it otherwise.

Just add the mythic martial and I'll gladly keep in the existing martials for those that don't see any issues and like things how they are.

Might as well combine the mythic martial with the complex fighter as well.

So levels 1-8 = complex martial with stances, manuevers, and what not. Add some meaningful social and exploration pillar stuff
9+ = you get a power source of some sort like blood of the gods or whatever and you add non spell casting mythic martial stuff that gives more available effects and narrative control across all three pillars. Keep it martial flavored. Maybe include a power source choice that is external like guarunteed magic items/developing signature item for those that want an "everyman" as core concept.

Use the Wizard and Druid as the yardstick not the current Fighter. Find someone design minded with zero exposure to rpgs -- give them the base rules and the Wizard and Druid as example classes. Tell them to design a martial that is no more powerful or versatile than these 2 classes and let them go wild.

Make it an optional Class if you want.

Everybody is happy!

Most D&D 5e campaigns (83%) will never ever cast the Teleportation Circle spell.

The lower tiers (1-4 Student, 5-8 Professional, and 9-12 Master) comprise 95% of the entire existence of 5e.

Only 5% of campaigns reach the upper tiers of 13-16 and 17-20, nevermind epic.

Complaints about high-level spells are mostly irrelevant because only a small percentage of D&D players ever reach the level to cast them.

As has been mentioned, it's quite possible that the reason more people don't play high level is that class balance falls apart and/or high level magic is hard for people to deal with.

Most campaigns (83%) only use tiers 1-4 and 5-8.

Some stragglers (12%) linger on to 9-12.

I count 9-12 as a separate tier for flavor reasons as the old school "name levels", and for mechanical reason of more impacting class features. The tier 9-12 differs significantly in both feel and capability from 5-8.#
If you are going to invent your own terminology please don't take existing official terminology and copy the words. It's even worse than finding a new meaning for the word "level" because at least you know level is a confusing word.

But the simple answer is level 9 is, I agree, very different from level 8 if you are a primary spellcaster. Level 5 spells are a lot wider in scope than level 4 spells. It's where you really get the strategic spells like Teleportation Circle or Wall of Stone. It's even very different from level 8 if you are a secondary caster and break into third level spells.

But if you're not a caster? If you're a fighter at level 9 you get to use Indomitable 1/day. Thrilling. If you're a barbarian you get Brutal Critical. What rapture. If you're a monk you get to run over water and up walls - which looks good on paper, but the wizard's been flying and had the water walking ritual long enough that this is late to the party. And the rogue? They get a subclass ability - and their level 9 subclass abilities are often notably bad.

Even if we look at the captstone level 11 abilities? The fighter gets a third attack. Which fundamentally doesn't change their capability - they still kick people's arses in combat, attacking them in the same way and doing damage in the same way, just doing more damage per round. The barbarian's level 11 ability looks good on paper but prevents three papercuts. The monk gets a subclass ability. But it's not huge. Only the rogue really changes what they can do at level 11 (by basically never failing a skill check).

And this is the problem. The four non-casters don't enter what you consider tier 3 at level 9. The fighter and the barbarian never really change the scope of what they do unless they have seriously OP subclasses. The Rogue does at level 11. And the Monk does at level 14.

The problem isn't Teleportation Circle. It's up against spells like Passwall, Banishment, Wall of Force, Wall of Stone (for the permanent effect) and numerous others. The problem is that the rogue and monk turn up late into what you call Tier 3 - and the fighter and barbarian never turn up at all. The problem here is not with the full casters.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
As has been mentioned, it's quite possible that the reason more people don't play high level is that class balance falls apart and/or high level magic is hard for people to deal with.
I thought so too. But statistically, the Wizard class actually gains steam during the highest in the Legend tier 17-20. So simplicitly by itself cannot be the issue.

The top classes at the upper tier − in order − are Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, Barbarian, and Warlock. Simplicity seems to be a factor of survival, but it cannot be the only factor. Having powerful, new, fun things to do, is also a factor for wanting to play at this upper tier.

Statistically, at the 17-20 tier, the Fighter and Rogue are powerful classes that are more popular than the Wizard and Warlock.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads