• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Are Wizards really all that?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
@Yaarel

Why the "Laugh" at this post:
I don't want to stop the game at those levels, but stop casters at 6th level spells and move 7th-9th for Epic 21-30th levels. :)
Nothing in it was meant to be funny or amusing...

I tend to like your designs for the Fighter class, if less so your ones for the Wizard class.

Seriously, are you unable to design a Fighter that can keep up with Wizard spells?
This also doesn't make much sense? You said you like my designs for the Fighter class, and then ask "Seriously..." etc.

Wait? Did you quote someone who has me blocked maybe?? If not, I am confused.

"Do cool stuff in combat" doesn't mean anything. Tell me what you actually want. Do you want to expend limited resources for powerful strikes?

the slayer had that and was my idea of a simple fighter...
Do you want to "power up bar" style system so you unlock cool things later in the fight?
I liked the psidie when it was going up and down and I thought of useing that instead of martial dice with some manuvers needing to lower at least from X to Y and that was something we tried to playtest
Do you want disarm opponents, or do you want to turn them to stone with a strike?
disarm I would like either at will or close to... turn to stone should be only a choice if you want it and should be a mystic daily.
Be specific and people won't assume things about what you want.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
- Monsters' saves only advance level with DC if you're throwing spells at their best saves. It is always possible to miss an attack on a 1, but entirely possible to throw a spell that a monster is unable to beat the DC.
I don't see how. Even at 20th level you're looking at a 19 save DC if you have a 20 in the casting stat. Unless the monster has a -2(very unlikely at 20th level), there's always going to be a chance. And at 20th level the monster probably has decent bonuses to good bonuses. Baphomet has Strength: +10, Dex: +9, Con: +15, Wis: +14, Int: +4, Cha: +3 with you having no way to know which ones are strong or weak.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
They only get one each of those spells to spread out over 6-8 fights and utility.

So... that sounds like an argument that the 7th-9th level spells aren't a big deal (and so we don't need to consider them that much in the great Fighter vs. Wizard war?).

But it feels like I'm over-reading into what you wrote now...

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So... that sounds like an argument that the 7th-9th level spells aren't a big deal (and so we don't need to consider them that much in the great Fighter vs. Wizard war?).
For combat ability vs. fighters over 6-8 encounters plus exploration and social? Not a big deal. Spellcasters can't shine at everything.

If you want to consider them in the "Martials should have martial ability to do fantastic things that big" debate, that's fair.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
True...

Any point you wanted to add with that or did you just felt like stating the obvious (assuming groups use said 6-8 fights...)?
My point is that those slots are fine where they are and don't need to be pushed up to epic levels. As for the bolded portion, if the DM isn't doing that, the caster power problem is his fault.

Remove ads