D&D 5E Are You Excited about Tomb of Annihilation?

Luz

Explorer
Well, clearly the best thing for a lich to do if being stymied by a level 10 party is attack them when they're resting for the night at the inn, killing the fighter with power word: kill. Moving to the next few rooms to kill the wizard and cleric with finger of death and then finishing off the rogue without a flank buddy. If interrupted, sending all its minions at once instead of convenient level appropriate waves. Then leave. If anyone survives, come back after 8 hours and finish the rest.

Really, the lich should just cast divination every seven days and ask "where are the groups of adventurers who might interfere with my plans staying?" And then just kill them.

But I'm not sure my players will keep playing with me after I murderer their characters like that.
Its pretty easy for a DM to have any smart BBEG arbitrarily kill off the party while they're sleeping or separated in the city during downtime activity, but that is obviously not fun. That's just laziness. As you mentioned in a previous post, there has to be a balance struck between smart villains and fun villains and it's the DM's job to create fun, challenging scenarios with said villain. For me, its one of the most challenging but rewarding aspects of the game: to plot and conspire against the party using whatever knowledge, resources and limitations that are at the villain's disposal (not the omnipotent DM's), then executing these plans to the fullest in a believable scenario. Whether it means a sweet victory for the party or a TPK, nothing is more fun for both players and the DM than a well thought out encounter with a major bad guy, at least in my experience. My players expect nothing less.

Yes, I am excited. I've been thinking about running an Isle of Dread-inspired adventure and an undead-themed adventure. Two birds, one stone.

designbot

Explorer
There are a lot of juicy (spoilery) details in this report from Origins, incuding:

ToA is similar to CoS in complexity for DMs. ToA is 1-11, but can go higher, especially with all the DMs Guild and Adventurer's League material they're going to be promoting. Acererak is CR 25. He loves to bait the PCs. His presence will be felt by the effects he has on the world, but he won't always pop in and out like Strahd.

CapnZapp

Legend
Polygon have done an article on Tomb of Annihilation, with more of a professional gloss to it than the reports from Reddit, and also some new snippets. It's a fun read! https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/20/1...-tomb-of-annihilation-tomb-of-horrors-origins

"Wizards of the Coast enlisted more playtesters to try the Dungeons & Dragons Tomb of Annihilation module than any adventure it has released before. Why? Because they were afraid no one would survive it."

I'll believe it when I see it.

CapnZapp

Legend
[sblock]"Taking resurrection off the table means the stakes are even higher in the trap-filled tomb of the demilich Acererak."[/sblock]

Does anyone know if this means they're about to reprint/update the dungeon they just released?!

CapnZapp

Legend
A Comment on Polygon said:
The original module also plays a huge part in Ready Player One, which is shudder being turned into a movie. So the timing seems to make sense.
First I couldn't even parse this sentence. Now that I know what it means, I am having trouble closing my mouth.

[sblock]"Taking resurrection off the table means the stakes are even higher in the trap-filled tomb of the demilich Acererak."[/sblock]

Does anyone know if this means they're about to reprint/update the dungeon they just released?!

I imagine it will have as much in common with the original as Storm King's Thunder had with Against the Giants.

Well since Chris Perkins is involved and it contains his trademark stupid and goofy names I will be giving it a PASS!
Have you bought anything this edition?
Is this news?
What did Chris Perkins do to you anyway?

Remove ads