• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Are you going to buy 5e?

Are you going to buy 5e?

• Yes, pre-ordered it

Votes: 135 48.6%
  • Yes, but haven't pre-ordered

Votes: 72 25.9%
  • No, but I might

Votes: 50 18.0%
  • No, it's not my kind of game

Votes: 21 7.6%

Blackbrrd

First Post
I just pre-ordered the Starter Set, PHB, DMG and MM. The prices were really good, 111$ total +30$ in (sloooow) shipping. I also think that the rule set itself is nice and concise, giving room for a lot of options and customizability for running my kind of game. It's actually the first edition I am going to buy since AD&D 2nd edition.

I am really looking forward to playing a more rules-light game than 4e which I am currently playing. In another thread I started comparing 3e and 4e to 5e when it comes to complexity. 5e had a lot of smart options to keep it simple. For instance the concentration for buff-spells. It just feels so right to have some meaningful rules for disrupting spells and limit the number of buff spells, all with one simple rule.

Maybe I will finally get my girlfriend into the game. I will just have to wrap up my (very fun, fast and furious) 4e campaign first. ;)

EDIT: changed the thread title to match the poll title.

Last edited:

Boarstorm

First Post
Where's my "No, but I'm waiting in line July 3rd" option? Just because I don't pre-order things doesn't mean I'm not interested in them.

Chaltab

Adventurer
Should be a maybe option. Like I'm definitely not going to buy it at launch just because I can't afford it, but depending on whether my group wants to and if they like the Basic PDF...

Rygar

Explorer
No, since the playtest ended, what they've been showing and talking about is further and further away from the kind of game I like. At this point I'm writing it off.

Robyo

Explorer
I'm anxious to glance over the PHB when it's in stores. The DMG is the book that I'm most interested in checking out.

Not really excited about buying a core set of D&D again, but it does look quite hackable.

One thing I'm not buying for certain is the Starter Set. More and more, I think it was a mistake to omit CharGen rules in the box. Basic D&D free PDF download sounds alright, but I think WotC dropped the ball on not including them. Would much prefer a shorter adventure module and added more rules for CharGen.

Maybe it's just me, but the first excitement I had playing Basic D&D in the 80's was rolling ability scores and scribbling out a new character (human thief) in pencil.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads