D&D General Are You Seriously Planning to Stop Playing and/or Running D&D Over The Recent OGL Developments?

Are You Seriously Planning to Stop Playing and/or Running D&D Over he Recent OGL Developments?

• Yes

Votes: 95 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 122 56.2%

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I don't understand the desire to turn gods of the dead like Anubis, Hades, and the like into villains.
I never stated Anubis was evil nor a villain, rather the Anubians who worship Anubis are. The Anubians are slavers, by that alone, one could define such a species as evil, and the fact that necromancy is their primary use of magic, aside from Spelljammer magic. Anubis was the chief deity of the Egyptian mythos during the 1st Dynasty of Egypt, a time when Osiris and Horus, didn't exist yet. Anubis was responsible for weighing your soul against the weight of the feather. Anubians are "old school". In no way does that suggest Anubis being evil...

Last edited:

Aldarc

Legend
I never stated Anubis was evil nor a villain, rather the Anubians who worship Anubis are. The Anubians are slavers, by that alone, one could define such a species as evil, and the fact that necromancy is their primary use of magic, aside from Spelljammer magic. Anubis was the chief deity of the Egyptian mythos during the 1st Dynasty of Egypt, a time when Osiris and Horus, didn't exist yet. Anubis was responsible for weighing your soul agains the weight of the feather. Anubians are "old school".
This take is a little too essentialist for my tastes.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Here's a sneak peak at what will never be pubilshed (see my post above to explain).

Shown below is the Anubian Scarab Spelljammer destroyer, then the 4 decks: top deck gunnery and temple, deck two is gunnery support, deck three is crew quarters and helm, deck four is the cargo stores and slave pens (Anubians are jackal headed gnolls, evil slavers that worship Anubis).

View attachment 272623View attachment 272624View attachment 272625View attachment 272626View attachment 272627

Aside from the principle of the thing, is there any reason you can't create this product under OGL 1.1? I'm curious how that kind of thing is going to shake out in the long run. WotC keeps insisting that it won't make a difference to most 3P publishers, but it seems like everyone assumes that it's just ALL OVER for 3PP.

Stop playing D&D....well, no.

Of Course I play 1E, BECMI, 2E, 3X more then I ever played 5E. So even if WotC went out of business it won't effect my 2E Spelljammer game.

Other then the Core books, I have bought no 5E stuff. Gotten some as gifts, and bought some at used discount stores.

Vael

Legend
No. We just had session 0 of me running Light of Xaryxis. I don't pay for DnD Beyond, though I'll use it as a free search engine, and I already own a lot of 5e books.

The OGL fiasco has mainly killed a lot of my interest in One DnD (but I do intend to continue following the playtest) and have gone from "probably won't" to "definitely won't" buy this year's books.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Aside from the principle of the thing, is there any reason you can't create this product under OGL 1.1? I'm curious how that kind of thing is going to shake out in the long run. WotC keeps insisting that it won't make a difference to most 3P publishers, but it seems like everyone assumes that it's just ALL OVER for 3PP.
Honestly I don't know. I was considering publishing this OGL 1.0a, and through One D&D at the Dungeon Master's Guild. So it looks like that isn't going to happen. Can an OGL 1.1 suffice? I don't know. The Dungeon Master's Guild isn't selling any 3PP right now that means more at this time. than which flavor of OGL might actually work. I am not a lawyer, I have no real idea and am just waiting out to whether I can publish this or not.

Remove ads