• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are you tired of being told you hate 4E?

Are you tired of being called a "hater"?

• Yes, I am tired of being called a "hater", I am not.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • I do "hate" 4E, but don't like being called one.

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • I am a 4E hater and proud of it!

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • We are all just gamers, lets just accept that.

Votes: 70 42.2%

Samuel Leming said:
It's a good thing an ocean separates us then. :p

Of course, with that snout you may be able to leisurely snorkel across... :heh:

Sam

Just wait till the Michigan militia come to power. Then you'll be in trouble. :p

Olaf the Stout

(It's a Simpsons quote, in case you have no idea what I'm talking about ;) )

BryonD

Hero
ThirdWizard said:
Perhaps the issue here is that to be hating on something, you don't have to actually "hate" it?
Kinda like how something doesn't have to be a literal board game to be "to much like a board game."

Khur

Sympathy for the Devil
mmu1 said:
It's not irrational if the things you already do know about amount to a deal-breaker.

If someone brings me a plate of food and I notice there's a cockroach in it, I'm not going to try it on the off chance that it'll actually taste delicious, no matter how good the rest of it looks.
Fair enough.

Your statement shores up my point, since seeing a cockroach on your food is enough to make a solid evaluation of the food situation. But that's only as long as one actually sees a cockroach and not what one imagines to be a cockroach for whatever reason, such as seeing something shiny and brown and jumping to a conclusion—or an emotional reaction to something else entirely, such as disliking the cook's politics. If something like that isn’t the case, you're golden.

The cockroach analogy is a much simpler situation, though. Furthermore, it's one in which choosing to further participate could be actually harmful. It's not really comparable. Without knowing what your pet cockroach is with reference to 4e, I really can't address whether I think your judgment is irrational. It wouldn't be worth it to make such a specific judgment, regardless.

Certainly, my general statement wasn’t meant to address any specific exception. And your specific exception, the validity of which I'm not judging, doesn't alter the veracity of my general statement. All generalities have exceptions, and those exceptions rarely invalidate the generality as a whole.

I'll stand by my original statements, which in their generality, are applicable enough. Few people, "fan" or "hater," have enough information to make a sound, well-reasoned judgment about 4e based solely on 4e's merits as a unified RPG system. And just reading the game rules isn't enough to claim one has adequate information.

It might be enough for one to claim one doesn't want to try it, based on some personal grievance with the rules as written. That's perfectly valid for an individual to decide. But it's not a point either statement is trying to oppose. It's also valid for one to decide one can't or won't pursue 4e based on circumstances that really have little to do with 4e in itself, such as finances or having enough games to last a lifetime. But such reasons have little to do with 4e as a game, so they're also not part of the point of these statements.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
ThirdWizard said:
Perhaps the issue here is that to be hating on something, you don't have to actually "hate" it?

I don't think you have to say "I hate x!" for people to rightfully level the accusation of hate. When a person never posts anything positive about a given game and frequently uses prfanity or hyperbole to denigrate it, the hate is very apparent. They don't need to admit their hate. It exists and it's obvious to everybody else, reagrdl;ess of if the hater is aware of it or not. A good rule of thumb is that, if you've ever been banned from a forum specifically for denegrating a given thing in a horribly inappropriate manner, then you probably hate that thing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads