Armor Check Penalties (help!)

Dave G

First Post
Couple of questions.

Should I assume the armor check penalties for a magic shield to be adjusted by a -1 from the listed penalty due to the fact that masterwork sheilds have that property and all magic items are masterwork?

Is the penalty to be assumed when the shield is not 'readied' but just slung across the back? (My DM's allowing me to have my shield customized to do this easier, as it fits the character more)

Thanks!

Grundle

First Post
Should I assume the armor check penalties for a magic shield to be adjusted by a -1 from the listed penalty due to the fact that masterwork sheilds have that property and all magic items are masterwork?

Correct. All magic armor is by definition MW and thus has its armor check penalties reduced by 1.

Is the penalty to be assumed when the shield is not 'readied' but just slung across the back? (My DM's allowing me to have my shield customized to do this easier, as it fits the character more)

This is a grey area - your DM will have to decide. In my game, if the shield is on your person, you take the penalty.

Anubis

First Post
If the shield is in a place where it can be readied as a free action without Quick Draw, then yes, you take the penalty. If it across your back or something, however, and needs a move-equivilant or more to ready, then no.

orbitalfreak

First Post
Yes, the ACP is reduced, since all Magic Arms/Armour are MW.

I say that, if you can ready the shield and benefit from its AC bonus in that round, then you take the penalties.

Remove ads