D&D 5E Armor idea would like some feedback was inspired by Nerdarchy video on armor that was posted on YT recently. " D&D Equipment: Armor Sucks! Let's Fix I

Nightbeat84

Explorer
As the title suggested was thinking on the lines of armor damage absorption with armor having hp of some amount before the adventure needs to go get it repaired. This would apply only to medium and heavy armor to make armor wearing players get a benefit for doing so since thematically they aren't really dodging.
With any magic armor they would get a bonus to damage absorption which could be a 1d4 per attack or just a flat amount?? I haven't gotten too much further than that.

Comments and feedback welcome good or bad hit me with your thoughts.

This concept of course would not be for everyone and that is fine it was just an idea in my head.

I use a flat Damage reduction number based on the type of armour. Keeps rolling to a minimum. Has worked well. Even have consumable type armour that soaks up a single hit when the player chooses to use it. Shields can be used to negate a critical hit, but if they do, they are shattered. Also have helmets, gauntlets and greaves, each providing more DR.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I like how Pirate Borg handles armor.

Armor reduces incoming damage by a variable amount based on tier. Heavy is -1d6, medium is -1d4, and light is -1d2. A crit reduces the protection, but not the penalties (slower move, check penalties, etc). Armor reduced to beyond light is destroyed. Armor can be repaired in town for a price.

I’m a big fan of splintered shields. Sacrifice your shield to negate a crit or hit depending on the version.

Last edited:

ECMO3

Hero
Not a fan for 5E. Get the Heavy Armor Master feat if you want damage reduction.

AC already gives damage reduction through avoiding hits I think this just makes for a lot of uneccessary math. Also if my plate is reducing damage, then logically a Dragon's scales should too, and then all of a sudden we are back to 3E where a lot of characters simply can't damage someone with attacks.

I think a better way to "fix" armor is just allow full dexterity bonus to AC regardless of armor type. It is kind of illogical to limit dexterity bonus with armor anyway.

Riley

Legend
I think a better way to "fix" armor is just allow full dexterity bonus to AC regardless of armor type. It is kind of illogical to limit dexterity bonus with armor anyway.
My 1e elf fighter with field plate armor, 18 dex, +1 shield, and +1 ring of protection (AC: -5 at 3rd level!) heartily endorses this reform.

Last edited:

Nightbeat84

Explorer
Not a fan for 5E. Get the Heavy Armor Master feat if you want damage reduction.

AC already gives damage reduction through avoiding hits I think this just makes for a lot of uneccessary math. Also if my plate is reducing damage, then logically a Dragon's scales should too, and then all of a sudden we are back to 3E where a lot of characters simply can't damage someone with attacks.

Never played 3e but you do have a point of dragon scale and other enemy NPC's who are wearing armor but I would be more inclined to let the players have that benefit not so much myself but I suppose that would look funny.

As for you idea of a fix to allow full dexterity is flawed in that the idea that full plate is restrictive since it is heavy and that there are joints that restrict your movement. Having a character who can free move as if it wasn't even there is more illogical. Have you ever seen 2 armor knights based of actucal facts on heavy armor fight it is not graceful at all and when someone falls on the ground they do not get up.

That however is my opinion you can remove dex restriction if you like.

ECMO3

Hero
Never played 3e but you do have a point of dragon scale and other enemy NPC's who are wearing armor but I would be more inclined to let the players have that benefit not so much myself but I suppose that would look funny.

As for you idea of a fix to allow full dexterity is flawed in that the idea that full plate is restrictive since it is heavy and that there are joints that restrict your movement. Having a character who can free move as if it wasn't even there is more illogical. Have you ever seen 2 armor knights based of actucal facts on heavy armor fight it is not graceful at all and when someone falls on the ground they do not get up.

That however is my opinion you can remove dex restriction if you like.

You can find videos of guys doing cartwheels in plate armor.

I think holding a pike, longbow or a heavy crossbow is going to restrict your movement a lot more than wearing a suit of plate will. I think most shields will restrict your movement more as well (although not the really small ones). While I get the arguement for disallowing dexterity with a bulky suit of armor, it is not really logical if we are allowing full dex bonus while those large weapons or a shield.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases