D&D (2024) Armor, simplified for 5.5E:

mellored

Legend
IMO:

Wizard/Sorcerer: 15 AC
Rouge/Ranger/Barbarian/Monk: 16 AC
Cleric/Artificer: 16 AC, disadvantage on stealth
Fighter/Paladin: 17 AC, disadvantage on stealth

Now you're somewhat more free to put stats where you like. Like if you want to make a Str based Monk, or Cha based rogue. Or clumsy wizard.

Bonus points if we can get attack rolls this way too.

I.e. to hit is +5
Str can still be used for damage, it for spells prepared, but you can make a 20 Cha barbarian now.

Last edited:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Aside from Disadvantage on Stealth what more is there to affect armor choice then highest AC? This is the consequences of oversimplification.
Just from past editions alone...
  • An armor based value for a Flat reductions to a number of skills... like so and here's a 4e version
  • A penalty based on the particular kind of armor that causes spellcasters to possibly flub a spell like so
  • A reduction to or cap on movement speed like so
  • elemental boons & banes like so
  • possible penalties to saves like so.
I know that I'm probably missing some historical ones & wouldn't be surprised if there were a few splatbook specific ones... Then there's anything new like the pf2 cloth/leather/chain/composite/plate properties

mellored

Legend
Aside from Disadvantage on Stealth what more is there to affect armor choice then highest AC? This is the consequences of oversimplification.
What choices do you have making it more complicated?
Can I chose an 8 Dex front line Cleric, or a Con/Cha Rogue?

Tables, charts, stat calculations, and you're always picking the biggest number. Why not just skip a few steps and get the same number?

Choising a fighting style is a choice.
Choosing a sub-class is a choice.
Choosing spells is a choice.
Choosing artificer infusion is a choice.

Choosing AC isn't. There is no meaningful trade off. Just take the highest.

Unless you want to have armor that gives +to dex saves instead of AC. Or something along those lines.

Lojaan

Hero
What choices do you have making it more complicated?
Can I chose an 8 Dex front line Cleric, or a Con/Cha Rogue?

Tables, charts, stat calculations, and you're always picking the biggest number. Why not just skip a few steps and get the same number?

Choising a fighting style is a choice.
Choosing a sub-class is a choice.
Choosing spells is a choice.
Choosing artificer infusion is a choice.

Choosing AC isn't. There is no meaningful trade off. Just take the highest.

Unless you want to have armor that gives +to dex saves instead of AC. Or something along those lines.
Agreed. This is the TTRPG paradox where more options can mean less choice.

It doesn't matter how many types of armor there is (or how many weapon types, spells etc...) if one is clearly the best then there is only one choice. And if there is only one choice, then there is no choice at all.

Currently there are three "options"; light, medium and heavy, but none of these are really a choice. They are determined at character creation when you choose your class.

A lot of the time when people talk about options and choice with things like weapons and armor, what they really want is another way to measure character advancement.

mellored

Legend
Currently there are three "options"; light, medium and heavy, but none of these are really a choice. They are determined at character creation when you choose your class.
Exactly. So why not skip the middle man?

Just have the class give you your AC directly. Same as it does your hit dice.
A lot of the time when people talk about options and choice with things like weapons and armor, what they really want is another way to measure character advancement.
Advancement can still happen. +1 armor and weapons can still be a thing. Along with actual choices, like getting fire resist armor instead.

Lojaan

Hero
Exactly. So why not skip the middle man?

Just have the class give you your AC directly. Same as it does your hit dice.

Advancement can still happen. +1 armor and weapons can still be a thing. Along with actual choices, like getting fire resist armor instead.
Works for me. Just allow the class to start with the appropriate armor and you are good to go.

Remove ads