D&D (2024) Armor, simplified for 5.5E:

gorice

Hero
I think its a good idea to condense the armours, since they were fairly redundant and the flavour was kind of weird anyway. I would probably keep a gold-plated and/or cumbersome version in each category (e.g. heavy plate) to give people something to work towards, but w/e.

OTOH, once you start talking about DR and removing DEX bonuses from AC, I think you'd be better off just having armour only give DR, and something like 'evasion' (the old AC) be dex bonus + proficiency or something.

It's far too sensible a change to actually happen, but we can dream.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
As a gm I despise the armor types in 5e. In the simplifications 5e made to the d20 core it built off wotc stripped away all of the mechanical hooks that allowed two armors of the same light/medium/heavy class with a different AC to be subjectively desirable. Now it's just "what gives more AC" and literally nothing beyond that to influence selection

edit: Someone could say "well what about disadvantage on stealth?" but no that's not something that's going to influence people who might wear that class of armor. People considering on if a bit of armor gives stealth disadvantage are going to sit back not moving & send someone with an actual stealthy dex built PC off ahead to be stealthy if it might actually matter

Horwath

Legend
I guess I'd rather have no choice than the illusion of choice. But, a little more depth would be nice.
in 5E there is no real choice

you have studded leather for light.

you aim for halfplate with medium or if your REALLY aim for stealth it will be breastplate, but that will be aimed towards mithral halfplate.

and you have full-plate for heavy. or if you're lucky mithral or adamantium version of it.

same as in 3.5e;
there was 3 basic armors only: chainshirt, breastplate, full-plate.

Remove ads