Ars Magica 5e, Rhine Tribunal, 1220

Shayuri

First Post
(OOC - I keep finding myself in this position over and over again, and it's not doing me, nor the game, any good. I have access to the book, but more and more, I just don't have the time or the motivation to really just sit down and LEARN it. As a result, I never know what my options are at any given moment, so I can't really decide what to do. This makes me delay posting which slows down the game...it's a bad thing.)

(As much as I like the basic idea of the setting and game, I feel like I'm only doing damage to the game since I'm having so much trouble learning the system. My feeling is that I'd be doing it a favor if I retired. I'm not sure what a reasonable alternative is, but I'm open to ideas.)

ArghMark

First Post
Actually I feel you've been adding a lot to the game, Shayuri, and I'd really hate to lose you out of the game because you add a vital spark to the game. (The comment about the character was directed at walking dads character, and I was the one who made it :D) .

It is a difficult system to grasp, but generally to get a feel for your strengths and weaknesses you can have a look at your magical skills and abilities. If you have a score of 5 in something you will generally be able to do basic things, if you have a 10 in it generally you'll be able to pull of spells of 'getting pretty cool now.' Looking at skills, 5 is general ability of something learned and used constantly over a period of a few years, 10 being about the maximum.

If you want some advice, I would say that as your character is somewhat impulsive, try to cast regardless, mention it in the post, and either Yair or I will be able to guide you from there on.

If you want to retire the character, you and Illshana will be missed, but that is of course your choice.

Yair

Community Supporter
(OOC - I keep finding myself in this position over and over again, and it's not doing me, nor the game, any good. I have access to the book, but more and more, I just don't have the time or the motivation to really just sit down and LEARN it. As a result, I never know what my options are at any given moment, so I can't really decide what to do. This makes me delay posting which slows down the game...it's a bad thing.)

(As much as I like the basic idea of the setting and game, I feel like I'm only doing damage to the game since I'm having so much trouble learning the system. My feeling is that I'd be doing it a favor if I retired. I'm not sure what a reasonable alternative is, but I'm open to ideas.)

I frankly think you've been a great asset and you'd be missed if you leave. The slow pace is in-line with the rest of the players. I'm sorry you feel the magic system is to hard to learn, it's simple at heart and very open-ended. One option is to limit spontaneous magic, like Strahd did for Gorgamesh; this way, you only have the options listed in your formulaic spells, so you always know your options. If neither asking, nor learning, nor abandoning the use of spontaneous magic are solutions - I don't know what is.

The "problem" with knowing your options with ArM is that they are largely limited by your imagination. Your character can create a huge variety of effects, especially with Mentem and Imaginem. I certainly don't know all your options. I recommend not worrying about it. Instead of trying to work out all options, just try to think on a few appropriate Art combinations or effects* that will work, based on your Arts and style as well as the situation, and see how to make them using the magic system. Again, the magic system is simple at heart so figuring out a few spells is easy. (Honest!) Figuring out what all the relevant spells might be, now, that's next to impossible.

* A good way to do this is to look at the spell guideline tables. Since spontaneous magic is weak, you're looking for the lowest level effect that will do the trick. So you find some Art combination that seems fitting (Muto Herbam? Rego Herbam? Creo Terram [drop an anvil on the cabinet...]?), work out the low-level spell, and see if you can cast it.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Roll a stress die + 23 and beat a 5.

Looking at your character it seems I made some mistakes. I'll correct anon.

what? No!

It just means I made some mistakes on your character and I need to fix them!

Eh.. sorry if there was some confusion.

pass chest 'door' (1d10+23=26) /5 = 5.2

Retcon:

The chest is like a door, hindering the passage of my sight and hands... Thomans thinks, invoking his magic. The smell of wild herbs accompanies his gestures as he invokes his magic.

ooc - I'm not a master of the rules myself. Yair helps me.

Shayuri

First Post
(OOC - Smee...all right, I'll give it another go. Thanks for the words of encouragement. :eek: )

Ilshana watches Thomas with held breath, hardly able to contain her growing excitement over what might be in the chests. Secret tomes? Objects of magic? Exotic candies from far off lands? Gold? Frankincense? Myrrh?

"Open it," she helpfully advises in hushed tones.

ArghMark

First Post
The sharp smell of herbs tinges your nostrils, and the chests warp and buckle...

The first reveals a number of scrolls, papers, tomes, scratchings and small pieces of artwork with scribbles over them.

The second reveals a number of bits of rock, snails, a scattering of mouse droppings and what seem to be two glowing grapes.

Remove ads