Artifacts instead of items

Safari

First Post
With the new rules for magic items, players get new weapons on a steady interval, and toss out the old ones at the same pace. This assumes that loads of magic items are waiting in dungeons to be found.
You also have a crazy amount of inflation with the increasing gold cost of the magic items.

Mechanicly, the rules for magic items are good, but i want to change the flavour and the amount of bookkeeping needed. In order to this I was brainstorming about magic items that increase with the players level.

The base assumption is that there are a certain amount of legendary items scattered in the world. These items don't function for everyone however. An artifact's true power can only be unlocked by a hero with a heroic and compatible soul. This means a legendary sword can be dormant for generations, and suddenly reveal its powers to a hero.
When a pc finds an artifact, it starts with a low bonus appropriate for the player's level. When the player advances, the weapon rises with him.

The artifact also stores the character's soul for a time when he dies, making it possible to restore him to life. This makes resurrection something special, and not usable by everyone.

Now I also dont want te characters to be decked out with one artifact per body slot. I was thinking about reducing it to 1 or 2 items.
Either one item that increases all the attack/damage/defence bonuses at the same time or splitting it in a defensive artefact and an offensive artifact.
Offcourse all the other items slots will have to be replaced also. These can be added as powers, the artifact manifests, or as elixirs and potions that can be used.

A thing this will do is remove gold as a needed reward. The heroes won't be able to spend it for an increase in fighting power anyway. When they do receive any rewards, it will be for roleplaying reasons only. This eliminates the bookkeeping and it prevents gold inflation. When heroes need to buy anything minor, they will be allowed to do so. When they want to buy realy expensive stuff it should be in line with there current wealth. This makes character wealth a royeplaying mechanic entirely. A pc could be a wealthy noble, or someone completely broke.

The source of the artifacts can vary. A demon's soul can be captured inside of it or it may have been crafted by a god. The source and goal of the artifact can also be a major plot component in the campaign world.

What do you guys think? Will removing gold and magic items as a reward wil substract from the fun in d&d, or will the artifacts sufficiently replace those rewards?

Aloïsius

First Post
What do you guys think? Will removing gold and magic items as a reward wil substract from the fun in d&d, or will the artifacts sufficiently replace those rewards?

That's what I plan to make, but with a twist : magic items in the PHB already have level. I just use those level to know if a PC is able to use an item to its full potential. And I make the sum of all item level a PC has to know if he suffers some displeasant side effect.
I'm looking for the link...

aurance

Explorer

You should talk to your players about this. Myself as a player, I prefer your method. Power from leveling up as well as intangibles (contacts, political power and influence, castles, etc.) are sufficient rewards that I don't think too much about magical items. However, when as a DM I posed the question to my players, they definitely preferred getting items and gold with some regularity. So, I would recommend you come to some sort of group consensus before you change the default item distribution setup.

Remove ads