Artimus Al'Ulfgar (Comments Please)

DerianCypher

First Post
Part VII

Part VII

I did not have to wait long for my new clients to arrive. I was only people watching for 30-45 minutes before they appeared through the gate. I shrugged my shoulders to right my crooked pack and approached them. I nodded my head to the man who hired me and was now in full plate armor. “Good to see you again.” I said.

He nodded to me and held out his hand, “I apologize for not giving my name earlier, I was a bit preoccupied. I am Kinoc, cleric of Pelor.”

I took his hand and bowed my head once more, slightly more respectfully, “A pleasure to serve on such as you, Master. I am Artimus Al’Ulfgar, son of Alain Al’Ulfgar.”

The childlike figure next to him tugged on the edge of my chain armor and said, “Hi! I’m Osbourne! A pleasure to meet you.”

I sniffed once and nodded towards him. I took a step back and said, “Shall we go?” They both nodded and I turned and took the lead, setting a moderate pace to the ruins. The first couple of steps I took my hands were spent checking my purse and other valuables, it wasn’t an uncommon thing for those oh-so-innocent looking halfling to politely relieve you of anything shiny.

It would be a day’s journey to get to the ruins, so it’d probably be around 10 o’ clock by the time we got there. The journey was extremely tiresome as it was over rocky and hilly terrain. When we arrived Kinoc spoke up, “We should make camp outside the walls of the ruins. No need to explore them when we can’t see a thing.”

As we were setting up camp I heard a groan in the bush. I dropped my pack and clenched my fist, sending my blades out of the gauntlets. I approached slowly and saw another halfling curled up and deathly pale. I unclenched my fists and waited for the blades to retract before I leaned over the halfling. He was unusually tall for a halfling and was armed to the teeth. He wore a bandoleer filled with daggers, had several throwing axes at his belt and also 2 saps. I cleared my throat and approached with caution. Seeing that the little man was in no position to pose a threat I picked him up and carried him over my shoulder to where I left Kinoc and Osbourne.

I approached and said, “Master Kinoc, I’ve found someone in need of your care. He appears to be ill.”

I laid the halfling down and took a step back to let Kinoc get a look. He leaned over the halfling and opened his eyes and looked into them. Then he put a hand to his forehead, then a few fingers to his throat. He mumbled to himself then put his hands on the halfling and began muttering something. His hands were covered in a slight blue aura that radiated down into the halfling. The halfling began coughing violently and rolled over to spew whatever food he had had earlier onto the ground.

I took a step back to avoid being vomited on and sniffed once at the halfling. He sat up and looked around dazed. “Wh…Where am I?”

“You’re near the ruins outside the city of Mystarra? What are you doing here? Who are you?” replied Kinoc.

“My name is Wedge. I was thrown out of the city after I had to do some service. Do you mind if I stay in your camp tonight? I don’t think I can make my own.”

I was becoming very uncomfortable with the situation. I didn’t know Wedge and he was armed to the teeth. He could have been a thief who just got sick and was taking advantage of the situation. Before I could say anything Osbourne said with a grin, “Of course you can stay with us! We’ll protect you from the elements!”

I mumbled slightly to myself and picked up my pack. I chose a campsite nestled against the wall and gathered some wood that was nearby for a fire. I began searching my pack for my flint and steel when I heard something and saw a flash. I looked up and saw Osbourne near the fire warming his hands. I narrowed my eyes slightly, very confused at what had happened and decided that it warranted a mental note.

“I’ll take the first watch. Master Kinoc, I’ll wake you in four hours and you can take a watch, then Osbourne will take third watch.”

Kinoc nodded and removed his armor then laid down for his four hours. Osbourne and Wedge were near him and all were fast asleep. I sit quiet near the fire for an hour or so before I decided to pull that old flute from it’s case. I assembled it and played a soft, somber song that quietly faded into the night. After about 15 minutes of playing something came to my attention. I was the only thing making sound. It was absolutely silent around the ruins. Hurriedly I put away the flute and looked up.

The moon was approaching its zenith so it was bright enough to see by without the fire. I shook Kinoc awake and said, “Get up and get your armor on. Something is VERY wrong.”

He hurriedly awoke and shook Osbourne and Wedge awake. I helped him into his armor as Osbourne and Wedge got their things together. Once everyone was up and alert I said, “Stay here, I’m going to scout around.”

I quietly stalked into the night, pulling my dark cloak tightly around me. I circled the ruins to the entrance and popped my head in. My senses were assaulted the moment I did. From the inside, the ruins appeared to be completely intact. It was a castle that was magnificent in its design and construction. Also, walking in the courtyard and along the walls were silvery, translucent figures.

I staggered back, quickly shocked at my find. I sprinted back to camp and slid to a stop near the center. I said, “Follow me. It’s amazing.”

I jogged back to the entrance and this time entered completely. Everyone else was as shocked as I when they entered. We all stood gazing in awe for a few moments. This time in I noticed a magnificent tree standing in the middle of the courtyard. We entered further and were looking around when we noticed the silvery creatures were ignoring us. Upon closer, inspection I realized they were elves. I was the only one really able to positively identify them as I was the only one to have ever really seen them.

Elves were slowly becoming less and less common. I had had dealings with them through Thomas when I was younger. Through those dealings I was even able to attain a rudimentary knowledge of their language. But I didn’t have time to explain that they were elves, because suddenly they all leapt into action. I gazed off beyond the gate and saw rushing towards the gate a mass of shadows. Thousands upon thousands of dark, malignant figures charging towards the castle… and us.

Last edited:

cthuluftaghn

First Post
Yes... please, sir, may I have some more. Been nuthin' new since... oh... by my estimate, 06-25-2002 01:45 AM. Give or take a few seconds.

cthuluftaghn

First Post
Which is why I refuse to purchase Neverwinter Nights! It'll suck the rest of my life dry... my Story Hour would fade away... my muscles would atrophy.... cobwebs would form between my limbs.... my eyes would permanently attach themselves to my monitor. Neverwinter bad!

DerianCypher

First Post
Part VIII

I shouted out to everyone, “RUN! FARTHER INTO THE CASTLE!” With that I turned and darted off into the center of the castle, towards the great shining tree followed by the entire group.

We skidded to a halt at the tree and I stood looking it over. It had silver glowing flowers hanging from its limbs. I pulled a branch down and pulled a flower off the tree. As I did so Osbourne and Kinoc were touching the trunk of the tree, examining it. We all jumped as the sounds of battle began off towards the gate. I scanned the area around and saw a gaping hole in the back of the fort, leading into darkness.

I said, “Follow me!” and we all charged off towards the hole and into the darkness. Into the darkness that would change my life forever.

((Sorry it's not longer but I just couldn't bring myself to write anymore. Once I update it again though it'll be a lengthy part))

cthuluftaghn

First Post
I know how you feel. I have a daunting writing project ahead of me, after our last session. Took me 4 days to write what I just posted... and I got as far as leaving the inn!

Remove ads