Artimus Al'Ulfgar (Comments Please)

DerianCypher

First Post
Updated Part VIII

I shouted out to everyone, “RUN! FARTHER INTO THE CASTLE!” With that I turned and darted off into the center of the castle, towards the great shining tree followed by the entire group.

We skidded to a halt at the tree and I stood looking it over. It had silver glowing flowers hanging from its limbs. I pulled a branch down and pulled a flower off the tree. As soon as I touched the tree a rush of emotions flooded into my mind. Hate, Jealousy, Anger, Envy, Love, Joy, Compassion. As I pulled the flower off, the emotions subsided and Osbourne and Kinoc began touching the trunk of the tree, examining it. We all jumped as the sounds of battle began off towards the gate. I scanned the area around and saw a gaping hole in the back of the fort, leading into darkness.

I said, “Follow me!” and we all charged off towards the hole and into the darkness. Into the darkness that would change my life forever.

We charged into the darkness and into what appeared to be a cave in the back of the castle. The cave had a steep incline down and switched back on itself heading into the hill. We went down and down and down. Eventually, we came to a cross in the pathway. We decided to continue heading down and so we carefully trudged on. Then we all heard a chittering coming from a pathway that we were passing on our right.

Suddenly,a huge sectioned body flew from the room and hit me square in the chest, sending me flying into the wall opposite the hallway. I groaned and staggered to my feet, clenching my fists as I entered. I charged into the room and attacked.

The room opened up into a 15-foot by 10-foot room. Inside were 2 giant centipedes hissing and coiling their bodies. I shouted and charged forward to attack. Instead of attacking the head I ran towards it then jumped into a flip that sent me flying over it. I came down straddling the body and began slashing away at the section of body that held the head. I opened up holes in the carapace of the creature, ichor flying onto my gauntlets and armor.

As I was attacking one of the creatures Wedge ran into the room pulling several axes from his belt and chucking them at the other centipede. The axes imbedded themselves into the side of the creature and it let out a horrible scream. I continued hacking at the creatures’ neck and head as well as holding on for dear life with my legs as the creature tried to buck me off.

As quickly as it all started it ended. The creature under me fell lifeless as enough of its lifeblood finally oozed from the gaping hole in its neck. I slowly dismounted the creature and staggered over to Kinoc and Osbourne. I slowly knelt at my pack and began rummaging around for my blanket. I found it and used it to wipe the horrible smelling ichor from my body and weapons.

I stood up and said, “We had better get going. I have no idea how many more of these there are.” Everyone nodded slowly in agreement, and we continued on the pathway.

We continued on and eventually the pathway we were following opened up into a huge cavern. Webbing was all around the cavern and I was just thinking how many spiders it would take to make this many webs when I saw it.

A Spider that stood about 25-feet tall was in the middle of the room. Its body was bloated from something and it was hissing at us. I clenched my fists, readying myself for anything. The thing charged forth and attacked me, but I was fortunately able to dodge its horribly large leg. I flipped forward through its legs and under its body and slashed upward. The thing screeched in pain as I rended its soft underbelly. Wedge pulled his axes from his belt and tossed them at the creature's bloated body.

To my horror, smaller spiders began pouring from the mother spiders’ wounds. I continued slashing at the creature for all I was worth. Osbourne had his crossbow in hand and was firing at the creature. I could tell because more than once bolts flew just past my face. The creature slashed at Wedge with its wicked leg and connected with the small man. He went flying against the wall and slumped against it with an enormous gash opened in his chest.

I slashed one more time, and the creature began staggering. Finally, it fell over, nearly catching me under it. I was fortunately able to dive out from under it. I picked myself up and began checking myself for wounds. There were no apparent wounds and the halfling was doing better because Kinoc has called upon Pelor to heal him.

I nodded and said, “Lets get the hell out of here. This place is not safe.”

Everyone followed as I jogged down the cavern and down the pathway on the other end. I stopped short as the pathway turned into a staircase. Carefully, I walked down the staircase watching for anything. Eventually it led into a large hallway. On the far end was a large wall worked into the stone. Columns stood before a large doorway the stood behind a set of 5 or 6 stairs. We walked forward and up the stairs and through the already open door.

Beyond the door was an enormous library with tomes in languages none of us had seen before. We made our way to the center of the library and there on a pedestal was a large iron bound tome. In front of the tome stood a man that I recognized immediately as an elf. He turned quickly drawing his blade as he heard my blades sliding from my gauntlets.

“What are you doing here?” He demanded.

“I could ask you the same question.” I snapped.

Finally, after neither of us said anything for a moment I offered, “We were forced down here by a battle in the ruins. We’re tired and injured and just trying to find the way out.”

He looked he dead in the eye and slowly put his weapon away. I followed suit and he said, “This place is safe. You can rest here for the night; I’ll watch over you.”

I was very tense by this point and nodded to the rest of the party. They began setting a camp up. I walked to the elf and held out my hand and said, “My name is Artimus Al’Ulfgar. Who are you?”

He looked at my hand and continued reading the book, “ My identity is of no importance.”

I dropped my hand and turned to set out my bedroll. I remained awake for a few hours and then finally went to sleep hoping that my trust in the elf was not misplaced.

Last edited:

DerianCypher

First Post
(sorry I took so long!)

Part IX

I woke about six hours later. Waking up at all was a good sign, my trust had not been misplaced. I looked around at the rest of the party and saw that I was the first awake. Understandable considering all that everyone had gone through. I groaned slightly as I got onto my feet. The elf was no where to be seen.

I walked deeper into the library and found him examining a tome that looked like it was about ready to fall apart. I stepped up to him and said, “Thank you for watching us as we slept.”

He just continued on reading his tome and ignored my statement completely.

“What are you doing here? Who are you?” I asked.

“My presence here is none of your concern. The same goes for who I am.”

“Fine. I can understand that easily enough. What is going on up there? The temple should be notified so they can dispatch some of their clerics.”

“It might be better for them to send some of their warriors. It will require a lot of fighting to clear these ruins.”

I paused. As always I kept any emotion from my face. Warriors from the temple? The temple didn’t have any warriors and for the rare occasion they needed them they either substituted battle clerics or they hired men like myself. “Well, the first test is getting them this information. Do you know another way out?”

“Yes, there is a door in the back of the library that leads to the surface.”

By this time everyone else was stirring. I walked back over to where we had set up camp and started to get all my things together. To my surprise Osbourne was doing the oddest thing: reading a book. He was completely engrossed by it. Of all places to be reading a book I suppose a library was one of the places to do it, but not THIS library.

I pulled from my pack a portion of the rations I had brought along and began to quietly eat. We would have to press on as hard as possible on the journey back, making a brisk day walk into a grueling test of endurance.

The elf came towards us and spoke up finally, “I am going to accompany you back to the temple. I need to speak with the High Priest.”

We exited the back of the library to a long corridor that lead to the base of the hill. Just at the tunnel entrance was another huge centipede, although much smaller than the ones we had seen earlier. I was about to charge forth to do battle when the Osbourne let out a shout of rage. “I’M GETTING SICK OF THESE BUGS!!!” he screamed. He put his hands out and flames flew from his fingertips. For one of the first times in my life, I was completely dumbfounded.

The centipede shriveled up and died, engulfed in flames. The entire party was staring at Osbourne as if he had just horns and a pointed tail. I suppose this was understandable, for in essence, he had.

I growled and those blades came out of the gauntlets. I took a step forward to send this fallen angel back to where it came from when Kinoc stepped in front of me. “Not now. We have more important business to attend to.”

I looked at him for a long moment, trying to collect my thoughts. “Master Kinoc, he is wizard! He must be killed!”

“Yes, and all of that will be handled at the temple.”

I growled audibly and began traveling towards the temple. We turned a brisk days walk into a grueling 5 hour test of endurance. We arrived at the temple and Osbourne was swept into the back temple with Kinoc and we were allowed to rest. Hopefully he would be executed swiftly.

I was left in the main chamber of the temple for a considerable time before they returned. That time gave me a chance to think, and continue to grieve.

Remove ads