D&D 5E Artist Mike Schley running a sale on all digital artwork (including adventure maps)

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I've never understood why people assume that freelancers are raking in the dough. Also, the pervasive sense of entitlement for free digital content is tiresome.

printable maps help run the game without having to mark up the book, or try to scan them yourself to print. The hardback module format is more suitable to read than to DM IMO so having printable copies of maps is quite nice. If WoTC doesn't off them I'm sure people will find them somewhere else. Looks like you can get them from the artist for a bit of a steep price, 12 maps for 2.25 to 2.75 a pop. Would be nice if WoTC offered the level of AP support Paizo used to with the stuff in Dungeon but they are under no obligation to of course. If people don't care they will just keep supporting them and WoTC is out nothing.

LapBandit

First Post
I like Mike very much. He makes excellent maps and I appreciate what he's done. That being said, I'd like to buy ALL the maps for PotA and he doesn't offer a bundle prince which in my mind isn't cool.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I've printed and laminated world/overland maps, and they cost in the $15-20 range. I can't imagine spending that for a few encounters. But I agree, it is a bonus to playing online.
I actually print maps pretty regularly for my Star Wars game. I feel that the visual flavor is worth it. But I keep the costs down by (1) not laminating the maps and (2) printing on normal-sized paper. I then cut the panels apart and stick them together. Sometimes I glue them to cardstock backs to make them sturdier.

Eis

Explorer
Can the maps be purchased without the DM notes on them? For instance the numbers and arrows that point out which buildings are which in reference to the adventure? I am specifically talking about Princes of the Apocalypse in my case. I am about to start running PotA and I would love to be able to share those great maps with the players without them seeing "site where plot point 1 happened" actually written on the map

jrowland

First Post
Can the maps be purchased without the DM notes on them? For instance the numbers and arrows that point out which buildings are which in reference to the adventure? I am specifically talking about Princes of the Apocalypse in my case. I am about to start running PotA and I would love to be able to share those great maps with the players without them seeing "site where plot point 1 happened" actually written on the map

yes, usually you get both versions if available

Barantor

Explorer
I like Mike very much. He makes excellent maps and I appreciate what he's done. That being said, I'd like to buy ALL the maps for PotA and he doesn't offer a bundle prince which in my mind isn't cool.

Have you messaged him about it? It doesn't do any good if you don't tell him about your idea. He runs the website on his own and is a freelance artist who goes on the convention circuit too, I will tweet him your idea and see if he responds.

Barantor

Explorer
Mike Schley just tweeted this....

Barantor &#8207 [MENTION=6778128]Barantor[/MENTION] 1h1 hour ago
[MENTION=6693069]sch[/MENTION]ley Someone on enworld was wondering if you would put all the maps for a D&D adventure into a bundle?

Mike Schley &#8207 [MENTION=6693069]sch[/MENTION]ley 4m4 minutes ago
[MENTION=6778128]Barantor[/MENTION] I've got Red Hand of Doom & Expedition to Castle Greyhawk bundled here - http://mikeschley.zenfolio.com/p680849502 More will be coming soon.

Er...why would you print any dungeon map for use on the table? Why not just draw the relevant bits (as in, what the PC party actually knows about) on a pre-gridded whiteboard or chalkboard or similar, and put the minis on that?

5' squares are annoying as hell as when the chambers get to being 40'x60' or 50'x90' it's far too easy to mess up the counting.

Lan-"my biggest pet peeve with pre-done battlemaps of any kind is they invariably show players parts of the area their characters haven't seen yet"-efan

Why would I want my players parading around on a whiteboard when there are beautifully drawn maps? Isn't that kinda the point? "Man, guys, I wish you could see this map. It's awesome. Totally worth $6. Anyway, here's some black lines. Have fun imagining how awesome it is."

Just cover the parts they haven't seen yet. Or, better yet, cut out line-of-sight oriented sections and lay them out as they go. I did that at my family reunion and it was awesome. If I can't lay a map down on the table or blow it up enough to use on roll20, it is useless to me. If I am gonna draw it out by hand, I don't need someone else to design it for me. I'm paying for the aesthetics.

Uller

Adventurer
I very much like Mike's maps and buy them for my PotA campaign as needed. I was able to print some (or important bits of them) to scale for use as a battle grid. Others I printed to use as a player map. I've looked into getting them printed to scale but the cost is a bot prohibitive. If someone has ever come up with a good cost effective solution id love to here it.

For the cost it might just be better to buy a 32" flat screen tv and lay it down on the table...

Remove ads