D&D 5E As a DM, can I just say, Screw Paladins :)

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Paladins are good at fighting undead. They always have been. I would expect a lone paladin with stats and equipment like that, up against a lone death knight would make mincemeat of the creature in most editions.

Kalshane

First Post
Back in my 2nd Ed Dragonlance game the Solamnic Knight of the Sword PC engaged in a duel with a death knight as part of his trials for becoming a Knight of the Rose. I would agree that it's definitely not a new phenomena brought on by 5E.

Hussar

Legend
Y'know, I'm just kinda spitballing here, but, perhaps a solution might just be to choose monsters that aren't dead center of the PC's wheelhouse? I mean, complaining that the paladin is death on toast to undead is kinda like complaining about getting wet while standing in a shower. It's death on toast to undead because that's what it's SUPPOSED to be.

No different than a campaign featuring tons of orcs where the wizard is having a field day with fireball. Or a campaign with a rogue and a Battlemaster Fighter with Commanders Strike that features lots of lone opponents. Bit of a no-brainer I'm thinking.

Maybe instead of front end loading encounters with undead, have the undead summon elementals or have charmed baddies (they are vampires after all) come and mob the party.

If you're focused on using one type of critter, don't be shocked when the players grok this and make characters that will have big advantages against that one type of critter.

Oofta

Legend
Shoop in a second rapier, and that's my current character.

(Oh, and if someone actually does so, could you p,ease also shoop in a a pet owl?)

Challenge Accepted. Oh, and thanks for the idea for the idea for a new NPC to harass ... annoy ... irritate ... introduce to my players. Hopefully Shmazzengest Wegwuangni, Order of the Owl will live on in infamy. :)
Dual Rapier Gnome With Owl.jpg

Satyrn

First Post
Very nice. I had thought to do it myself but totally forgot.

But it turns out that how I pictured my gnome battlemaster is not the way everyone else does. I showed them the unshooped pictured and they all said "nope!"

They picture him as a grubby, dirtfaced big-nosed garden gnome. :-S

Oofta

Legend
Oh yeah. You.

Now someone's gotta shoop in a holy symbol and halo, something to show that Shmazzengest Wegwuangni is a paladin.

Ok, now I really do need to stop goofing around with this and get to my honey-do list.

But I give you ... Shmazzengest Wegwuangni Order of The Holy Owl

Dual Rapier Gnome With Owl Holy Symbol and Aura.jpg

G

Guest 6801328

Paladins are weak to ranged attacks and mobs. A small army of skeletons with slings can do a number. Doesn't mater if they drop in 1 hit, he can only hit 2 per turn. Also toss in some radiant resistant golems, as well as maneuverable ghosts that can do fly-by-night attacks. And of course, let a few things for him to smash and feel powerful against.

Yes, this.

Or do any number of other things to adjust the encounters. Sure, let the player have fun Smiting the vampires left and right, but mix it up with some encounters that Paladins aren't good at.

Remove ads