• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

As a player, do you have a preferred gender for your GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I've never had a female DM and would love to break that habit.

Unfortunately, not only have I never had a female DM, I've never even *met* one.

Edit: But I have played alongside, and DM'd, several female players.

Last edited:

Ahnehnois

First Post
I've only ever had female players. Despite the fact that I trade around DMing responsibilities and have had at least a half a dozen different DMs, none of the girls ever ran a session to my recollection. My current female player is a beginner and AFAIK is not ready or interested.

I would be curious to see what happens though. It's a shame it's such a male-dominated hobby.

Zelda Themelin

First Post
That doesn't sound like respect at all. It sounds like patronizing male chauvinism of the type that drives women away from the hobby in droves.

I though that sounded weird, but it really depends. If huspand was joining in game too, it's kinda natural to speak maybe to male first if you have bad experience about it. It's quite natural to talk to someone you know better to tell someone who knowns another person better to mention how game is going to be. Maybe someone he asked before lied and was not ok with game after all.

If huspand had nothing to do with that game, it would sound very weird to me.

Jumping on judgements is taking it bit far. Still, same sentance bothered me too. I kinda hope that kinda attitude would not exist. It would be easier for game to survive if moms liked it too and were in same team to sell it to next generanation whatever they play or not. Geeky things have negative reputation because of geeky fallacies and negative attitudes.

Water Bob

Adventurer
That doesn't sound like respect at all. It sounds like patronizing male chauvinism of the type that drives women away from the hobby in droves.

LOL. It's "patronizing male chauvinism" to speak to the husband about something he may not care to have his wife exposed.

I suppose you think going to the wife first and ignoring the husband would have been a better idea?

Or, maybe, we should just change our play style to accommodate the woman's preference? That would have been respectful, huh?

If huspand had nothing to do with that game, it would sound very weird to me.

In case it's not a typo (I make those all the time), but you spelled it that way, twice: It's "husband".

Still, same sentance bothered me too. I kinda hope that kinda attitude would not exist.

What attitude are you referring to. Please explain.

Last edited:

Kynn

Adventurer
LOL. It's "patronizing male chauvinism" to speak to the husband about something he may not care to have his wife exposed.

I suppose you think going to the wife first and ignoring the husband would have been a better idea?

Hi, I'm calling in from the 21st Century here. In this era, we don't assume that husbands control what their wives might be "exposed" to, as that puts the wife on the level of a child, not an adult.

Certainly I think talking to the female player first, instead of going through her husband, would have been more respectful.

I stand by my "patronizing male chauvinism" comment.

Rogue Agent

First Post
This entire thread started as a sad and sorry testament to how misogynist the gamer community remains and has only gone downhill from there.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Certainly I think talking to the female player first, instead of going through her husband, would have been more respectful.

Just like addressing an envelope with the wife's name first (unless for an invitation to a wedding--I think that's proper etiquette), not opening a car door for your lady, or jumping onto an elevator when a member of the fairer sex is also waiting, you'd be wrong.

This entire thread started as a sad and sorry testament to how misogynist the gamer community remains and has only gone downhill from there.

Oh, God. Gimmie a break. We're not talking about taking away a woman's right to vote or anything like that.

Where's the Yawn Smiley...oh, there it is: :yawn:

Last edited:

Darwinism

First Post
Oh, God. Gimmie a break. We're not talking about taking away a woman's right to vote or anything like that.

Where's the Yawn Smiley...oh, there it is: :yawn:

You're talking about treating a woman like she can't have an opinion that's not endorsed by her husband. It's pretty reprehensible.

S'mon

Legend

I think most gamers, if they were concerned that person X might not enjoy a game, would raise the issue first with person X, whatever the sex of person X, not with person X's spouse.

I don't really see how you can get around this being 'patronising', although maybe you would prefer a more positive word like 'chivalrous'? I don't really want to condemn your behaviour (I don't want to condemn the 'I only play with guys' people, either) but it does seem a long way from how I would behave, and certainly quite unusual.

S'mon

Legend

As author of the OP I slightly resent that remark! :p

If I'm disappointed in the responses at all, it's only in that so many people seem unable to phrase their subjective preferences as being subjective preferences, and can't resist making blanket statements that claim objective status. Including both the 'female GMs are no good' type statements and the "how misogynist the gamer community remains" type statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads