Pathfinder 1E As a player, how do you argue your rules interpretation 1) successfully and 2) without being obnoxious?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Of course, then there are times a GM rules against something that you think is crystal clear RAW, and you end up flummoxed.

In a PF1e game, I had decided to take the (generally not great) Whirlwind Attack Feat. The wording of the Feat said you take a full attack, and the rules for full attack say you can take a 5 foot step before, after, or between attacks.

So I'm thinking, ok, I can launch Whirlwind and take a 5 foot step to grab a few extra targets.

Turns out the RAW was muddier than I thought, and if I'd looked online I'd have found arguments for and against my interpretation. Oops!

Lesson learned: sometimes, there's nothing you can do, even if you have the rulebooks, errata, FAQ's, or developer tweets on your side- the GM is going to rule the way the GM is going to rule. Maybe you can sway them, but you're probably not going to do it at the table, so the best thing to do is, pick up your jaw, try to sully forth as best you can, and spend your time between sessions doing research and formulating a well reasoned argument.

And pray. Lots of prayer.

Remove ads