D&D 2E As a strategy 4e or 2e on classes

classes and theme and background reliance

• More classes and fewer and less reliance on themes and backgrounds

Votes: 23 27.4%
  • fewer classes and more reliance on themes and backgrounds

Votes: 61 72.6%

Sadrik

First Post
In 4e classes were very out there, heck the grid was filled. In 2e they had the PHB classes and that was it (other than psionicist), they took the kit structure to the max though. How do you settle in on this? More classes, fewer themes and backgrounds or fewer classes with more themes and backgrounds.

the Jester

Legend
Since classes, themes and backgrounds all fill different parts of a character's design, I don't see why less of one must necessarily lead to more of the others or vice-versa.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I really like the concept of themes and backgrounds, and how modular they can be. Start with a base class, add a couple of ingredients if you want, and you're done. You can be as "old school" or as "new hotness" as you want, to fit the style of game you play.

Besides. I've never thought D&D needed more than 4 classes anyway.

Remathilis

Legend
Classes, classes, for the love of Pelor, CLASSES!

1.) Themes and backgrounds are optional (says so right on the sheet). If you make classes into themes, those classes only are playable with theme/background on.

2.) Optional classes lose customization. As a class, I could build a ranger to have the archer theme (and attack at a distance) or I could take the Guardian theme (and be a ranger-knight), but if I'm a fighter with the ranger theme, I am locked into only one type of ranger ever.

3.) Some classes signature abilities are too strong for themes. Can you make a druid theme which grants wildshape and poison immunity? How bout smite evil and lay on hands in a paladin theme? How bout death strike and shadow jump from an assassin theme? Remember that a theme is a collection of feats; is rage, wild shape, or bardic song equal to reaper, ambusher, or arcane dabbler?

I'd lots of classes defining what you do, with themes defining a focus or method of doing so.

Agamon

Adventurer
A couple months ago I was talking to a buddy. He was telling me about his game. "Yeah, I'm playing a SomethingOrother ThingAmajig*..."

"A what? What game are you playing?"

"D&D."

"Really? I've been playing D&D for 30 years and I have no idea what you just said."

Now, I've played 4e, I have books and everything. But I moved on after the core. So did the game, apparently, quite a bit. Too many classes and races spoils the soup, imo.

*Not it's actual name, but seeing as I didn't recognize it, I didn't remember it, either.

Agamon

Adventurer
Classes, classes, for the love of Pelor, CLASSES!

1.) Themes and backgrounds are optional (says so right on the sheet). If you make classes into themes, those classes only are playable with theme/background on.

2.) Optional classes lose customization. As a class, I could build a ranger to have the archer theme (and attack at a distance) or I could take the Guardian theme (and be a ranger-knight), but if I'm a fighter with the ranger theme, I am locked into only one type of ranger ever.

3.) Some classes signature abilities are too strong for themes. Can you make a druid theme which grants wildshape and poison immunity? How bout smite evil and lay on hands in a paladin theme? How bout death strike and shadow jump from an assassin theme? Remember that a theme is a collection of feats; is rage, wild shape, or bardic song equal to reaper, ambusher, or arcane dabbler?

I'd lots of classes defining what you do, with themes defining a focus or method of doing so.

2e had druid, ranger, paladin, etc. I think there should be a solid base of classes, including those. But not a never-ending proliferation of them.

Li Shenron

Legend
Less base classes for me. In 3.0 I was fine with the PHB base classes, and a few extra for specific settings (e.g. Oriental Adventures) but later I disliked the introduction of new classes done by 3.5 splatbooks, nearly all of them.

Remove ads