D&D General "As DM I have Created a Homebrew D&D setting which I have Used for Two or More Separate Campaigns." (a poll)

"As DM I have Created a Homebrew D&D setting which I have Used for Two or More Separate Campaigns."

• True.

Votes: 76 76.8%
  • False.

Votes: 23 23.2%

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
No. Don't care about world-building on my own so I use whatever settings I find interesting or whatever the default setting is for a particular campaign adventure I'm running.

That being said... when I do decide to run a game in a particular setting, I usually go back and grab as much info and material from previous versions or editions to cobble together a more complete setting than any one individual product might have given me. It's still not "homebrew" per se... but it is a setting I have built on my own from using other pieces I've found.

Synthil

Explorer
I use a new world for all of my new campaigns. Worldbuilding is the most fun part for me. Even if my players never even see most of it. And I'm really fickle. After a while, I grow bored with my own worlds and want to try out new ideas.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Yeah, I had my own setting I used for a few years before Eberron came out and things took a turn

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
True, I've created multiple homebrew campaign settings, and three of them have been used for several campaigns. (My current homebrew setting, "Sunder," is gearing up for its third campaign.) Writing my own material and drawing my own maps is 90% of the fun of being a Dungeon Master for me.

Laurefindel

Legend
True, but were going waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back to my earliest DMing days.

Nowadays, my homebrewed settings generally serve for one campaign and then are shelved. Actually, I should frame and laminate those (two) that actually came to a conclusion and put them on the wall with my diplomas! Just kidding, my diplomas are buried way deeper even than my less successful campaigns. Seriously considering hanging the campaigns on the wall though..

My moderately modified Forgotten Realms remain consistent throughout all my FR campaigns however, but that doesn't quite qualifies.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
False. I usually use already created settings, because they have pretty maps and I like pretty maps. When I do use a homebrew setting, it's generally regionally isolated so maps aren't as much of an issue.

aco175

Legend
A friend of mine DM'd for most of 2e and had a world shared with other friends of his from 1e. It was a large map partially drawn onto the back of some wallpaper sheets. Some of the map had places and detail while other parts were only partially sketched from explorers in the earlier campaigns taking notes and talking to other races like the elves that lived in some places. Each new campaign filled in some of the newer places and pushed the boundaries further out.

It was cool for the idea, but world-wise it made no sense that this whole new kingdom existed next door and nobody knew. Some of the campaigns jumped ahead in the timeline but things still made no sense it we thought too hard. But, then again, not much in dungeon construction made sense in 1e/2e.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Same-ish world since 1E. It evolves with each edition change, including a few historical ret-cons, but mostly from the same starting point (which originally borrowed a lot of the politics and characters from the 80's Micronauts comics, if not the actual setting.)

Bupp

Adventurer
I've had three separate campaigns on my homebrew world that I started building with the 5e playtest. All on separate parts of the same continent.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Answer is yet to be determined.

In my current setting I've run all sorts of different parties and groups of PCs, but always with the intent that they could, if chance or desire indicated, potentially meet and interact with each other. Much more relevant, things done by one group are often later heard of by others.

That said, I've ideas for future campaigns in that setting that would be disconnected from anything happening now, and so my answer to the poll question is "TBD".

Remove ads