D&D General "As DM I have Created a Homebrew D&D setting which I have Used for Two or More Separate Campaigns." (a poll)

"As DM I have Created a Homebrew D&D setting which I have Used for Two or More Separate Campaigns."

• True.

Votes: 76 76.8%
  • False.

Votes: 23 23.2%

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
In my current setting I've run all sorts of different parties and groups of PCs, but always with the intent that they could, if chance or desire indicated, potentially meet and interact with each other. Much more relevant, things done by one group are often later heard of by others.

This by itself seems to make it a true. 🤷‍♀️

Tom B1

Explorer
Two or more decades! Dozens of campaigns.

Poor world is languishing in 5e though. I am running FR these days.
Or mine is:
1 for 19 years.
3 or 4 for 1 to 2 years.
(In fantasy... if I include fantasy, I can add)
5 or so years in 1 and several in the 1-2 year range.
Few of mine hewed too closely to rulebooks bought.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
This by itself seems to make it a true. 🤷‍♀️
Not by my definition.

If I run two different parties* in the same setting and those parties will 99.9+% likely never meet and interact, be it due to time or distance or whatever, that's two campaigns.

If I run two different parties* in the same setting that could and will very likely meet and interact (or, more common IME, who spawned from a single original group), it becomes one campaign the moment that meeting happens and IMO is one campaign even before that. Even more so if the actions of one group can or will somehow influence the lives or actions of another in real time within the fiction. (e.g. party A infiltrates and wipes out the Hobgoblin command center which before long leads to a major Hobgoblin retreat on the war front where party B is active)

And by interact I mean more than just happening to be in the same place at the same time; I mean potentially swapping characters or members, merging into a single party, forming a larger adventuring company, or whatever.

* - contemporary in real time. If I run one party in a setting and then 20 real-world-years later I run another party in that same setting, that's probably two campaigns even if party B does eventually interact with party A somehow; and would in any case certainly be perceived as two different campaigns by the players.

Omand

Hero
True, and over multiple editions now. Started with a 3.0 Campaign, then 3.5, then 4,0 and then the D&D Next Playtest.

Unfortunately, due to real life issues we had to stop playing not too long after 5E was officially launched.

Cheers :)

jgsugden

Legend
My primary Homebrew is nearly 40, and has been 'rebooted' several times (and due to time travel mechanics, they're all in continuity, despite the evolution between each reboot).

Sphereworld was a lesser success. It was used for two different campaigns, but the 'Alice in Wonderland' feel of it made it suitable for a smaller audience.

I'm running a game that is based out of an interdimensional mansion that allows the PCs to travel to any setting - so there has been a combination of homebrew and established setting ... I look at it as a sampler plate.

I ran a campaign that is sort of Homebrew. It took place in the 'real world', except in 1867 magic 'returns' to the real world, awakening sleeping monsters, opening portals to other worlds, and changing the path of the world. It started in the West of the United States, and went really weird. I have a new version of this campaign lock and loaded to run that instead starts in London and uses unique mechanics based upon 4E D&D with different unexplained mechanics for each PC.

I've run dozens of 'adventures' spanning 10 to 20 sessions that took place in nondescript settings. I shaped the world around what the PCs wanted to do. For example, I let a cleric make up a God or pick one from any setting.

ThrorII

Adventurer
No. Don't care about world-building on my own so I use whatever settings I find interesting or whatever the default setting is for a particular campaign adventure I'm running.

That being said... when I do decide to run a game in a particular setting, I usually go back and grab as much info and material from previous versions or editions to cobble together a more complete setting than any one individual product might have given me. It's still not "homebrew" per se... but it is a setting I have built on my own from using other pieces I've found.
Same here. I've usually used my house-tweeked version of Greyhawk CY576 for most D&D campaigns. I prefer to use other's settings and 'adjust' them to suit my taste.

I'm currently running a game of "Wild West Cinema" for our group, whose setting is damn near ripped whole cloth from Boot Hill's Ballots & Bullets mini-campaign.

I have been using the same home brewed world since 1990. It has gone through 2E, 3E, PF and 5E rules. Dozens of players, centuries of in game time and it’s still going on. I now have players younger than the campaign world.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases