As Editions progress, are homebrews...

The Little Raven

First Post
Abstraction said:
Are we claiming that up until 4E, every homebrew was forced to have Bigby in it? A feat name or spell name is just a name. How much time does it take to change Golden Wyvern Adept feat in your homebrew? About ten seconds.

This is the thing that seems to ridiculous to me. A group of anti-4e people claim that they'll be forced to use things they don't want in their settings because it's in the 4e PHB, but somehow 3e and all previous editions that made default assumptions that were wrong in certain settings (no gnomes or half-orcs in Dark Sun, for example) didn't limit them at all.

Rose-colored glasses really do blind people.

Abstraction

First Post
Cam Banks said:
It's a degree more intrusive than spells or even races, however. This is something I think is not being fully understood; a feat that most characters should consider having (such as the spell sculpting Golden Wyvern Adept feat) shouldn't be locked into a flavor text name that has no bearing on the feat's function. Even spells with wizard names in the PHB have previously been easily adjusted by dropping the wizard's name prefix.

Cheers,
Cam
A freaking feat name is more intrusive than having to completely rewrite the PHB to take into account no Dwarves, flying Elves and Gnomes that are sized Tiny? You have no idea what homebrewing is. A feat NAME has ABSOLUTELY no impact on a game world.

The Little Raven

First Post
Cam Banks said:
It's a degree more intrusive than spells or even races, however. This is something I think is not being fully understood; a feat that most characters should consider having (such as the spell sculpting Golden Wyvern Adept feat) shouldn't be locked into a flavor text name that has no bearing on the feat's function. Even spells with wizard names in the PHB have previously been easily adjusted by dropping the wizard's name prefix.

I fail to see how renaming a feat is more difficult than adding/removing classes/races wholesale in a setting.

Patlin

Explorer
Why can't "Golden Wyvern Adept" be a purely metagame name? In character, a wizard with that feat might look at you blankly if you used those words. He'd probably describe his ability as being able to shape his spell effects more precisely due to specialized training he had undergone.

It might be more reasonable to just call the feat "Shape Spell" in the first place, but that doesn't mean you have to re-name the feat for every game world.

DM_Blake

First Post
I have run my home brewed world since first edition. It had elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, half orcs, half elves, and humans. Clerics, druids, fighters, paladins, rangers, illusionists, mages, thieves, assassins, and monks.

In second edition, it had all of those as well.

And it had them in 3rd edition, and it gained sorcerers.

Somewhere along the way thieves became rogues and assassins disappeared into the night, eventually becoming a PrC in 3e.

Now in 4e, it will lose gnomes and half orcs, suddenly find eladrin and dragonborn, lose druids and monks and gain warlocks and warlords.

So yes, I will have to either create a ton of house rules, or significantly change my world, to conform to 4e, so this will be the largest undertaking of homebrew edition conformity to date.

BryonD

Hero
Mourn said:
I fail to see how renaming a feat is more difficult than adding/removing classes/races wholesale in a setting.
If that was all it was then this would be true.
If Golden Wyvern was "shape spell" then adding in "The Order of Truth teaches the power to precisely control their spells. They call this ability 'Master of Battle Knowledge' and it is obtained through the Shape Spell feat.

Now it is true that you can do the exact same thing with Golden Wyvern. So for the specific case of home brewing I agree that it is not a real big deal.

However, first you have to deal with the extra step in the process of "and what was Golden Wyvern again?" And second, I'd just simply prefer, personally, to not have to intermingle fluff laden terms that have nothing to do with my world in the description of the fluff that defines my world. It kinda messes up the feel.

Abstraction

First Post
BryonD said:
If that was all it was then this would be true.
..... So for the specific case of home brewing I agree that it is not a real big deal.
Well, this happens to be a thread about homebrewing, so can we please keep the whinging out?

BryonD

Hero
Abstraction said:
Are we claiming that up until 4E, every homebrew was forced to have Bigby in it? A feat name or spell name is just a name. How much time does it take to change Golden Wyvern Adept feat in your homebrew? About ten seconds.
Calling "Bigby's Clenched Fist" just "Clenched Fist" or "XXXX's Clenched Fist" takes about 2 seconds the first time and 0 seconds thereafter.

Calling "Golden Wyvern" "Battle Knowledge" takes about 2 seconds the first time and 45 seconds re-explaining or looking up Golden Wyvern every time thereafter.

Remove ads