D&D General As GM, do you have bad guys kill downed PCs?

As Gm do your bad guys kill downed PCs?

• No, never.

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • No, not usually, but it has happened.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • Yes, but rarely.

Votes: 49 40.8%
  • Yes, fairly often.

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • Yes, every chance I get.

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • There are no simple answers.

Votes: 9 7.5%

Generally the NPCs are worried about the PCs that are still conscious, not the unconscious ones. The unconscious ones might get caught up in an AOE though, or maybe the NPC isn't worried about the other PCs for some reason.

hojulation

Explorer
Typically no, if there are still active PC's, they are the larger threat. I will do it however if it fits the enemy the party is fighting like many people have mentioned previously (hungry ghouls is a great example).

A similar case I just had was a fight with a xill that dropped a PC and on the next turn it escaped into the Ethereal with its prize. Technically the PC is alive, but practically they are out of the game.

Intelligent enemies, every chance I get. After all, D&D is a world full of magical healing effects which can instantly make someone combat ready again at a moment's notice. How many times would you have to see combats play out to come to the same conclusion that virtually all of the groups I play with have come to?
- Kill the healers first
- Take out whole targets, don't mindlessly split damage
- If something is down but keeps getting back up, make sure it STAYS down.

Non-intelligent foes, or 'law abiding' foes, certainly not. Those interested in kidnapping, or otherwise hoping to negotiate from a position of power, of course not. But a group of average or above average intelligence bandits ambushing a caravan the PCs are a part of on the road, or a group of enemies in their lair which the PCs have invaded? It's incumbent on THEM to ensure the enemies can't finish off their friends, not on the enemies to fight with kid gloves on.

Mind you, in my campaign resurrection is fairly easy to come by. I don't want to needlessly destroy the time and emotional investment players have made in their characters for the sake of realistic combats. But nor do I ever want the perception or reality to be that the characters are unkillable. So my campaigns tend to be heavy on the PC deaths, often associated with gear loss (which makes it easier to give out a bunch of loot as rewards!) and very light on non-plot driven "true deaths", if that makes sense.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Depends on the foe and the situation. Ghasts sure will stop to feed. Raging gnolls might. Tactical opponents usually will not, but might if there is an obvious healer or if they thing the horror factor will end the fight - or they are just sadistic and not otherwise engaged. I'd say 95%+ no - but that also includes all of the ones who have no wish to kill the PCs, but other goals like to drive them off from their nest, etc.

Only rarely. If the DM wants to win - they win. Being "down" in the first place, with an enemy actually in a position to "hasten their death", almost always means the PC is very likely to die anyway. Even if the player had it coming because of dumb decisions or whatever, the PC just dying rather than being executed by an enemy is punishment enough. If an enemy actually coup's a PC then there's VERY good reasons/motivations for them doing that sort of thing - which the players would certainly be made aware of going in.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Yes, fairly often, but creatures must be intelligent enough to realize the significance.

Creatures won't if standing PCs pose an immediate threat to the creature, and sometimes I have the creature threaten to off an ally if the other PCs don't surrender.

Shiroiken

Legend
It doesn't happen often, but I'm not opposed to it. It depends on the motivations of the enemy and the specific situation. An intelligent enemy that hates the PC in question would absolutely "double tap" to make sure they're not getting back up. Animal intelligence creatures that aren't immediately threatened might start their meal, which would work as attacks. Finally, sometimes there's nothing better for an average intelligence enemy to do, but that usually requires the fallen PC in question to have been behind enemy lines.

Hussar

Legend
I generally play that creatures do not split their multiattacks. So, if a PC goes down on the first or second of a three attack multi-attack, then, sure, I'll finish the PC off. But, I've been very open with my players about this. They KNOW that monsters don't split attacks, so, they've largely adjusted their tactics to suit. Healing before someone goes down becomes a LOT more important when you play this way. Whack-a-mole is not really an issue when you pound the mole into paste. :D

Remove ads