D&D 5E "....as if you were concentrating on a spell"

Argyle King

Legend
Responding from my phone, so apologies if I'm missing some things...

I could possibly see it argued that the pact blade is created via some sort of soul energy, similar to a monk's chi.

The difference being that a monk gains access to that energy through self-reflection and internal understanding; the warlock gains access to it via the patron granting access to it.

Whatever the case, if there's a method of "creating" the weapon which specified neither magic nor extradimensional space, I would say the weapon could be created but would not overcome DR.

I would further say that an already summoned weapon could be brought into the AMF but not dismissed, as access to the other dimension would be cut.

That raises some interesting questions about familiars.

I’d say that DM is within the rules, but only because summoning a thing out of thin air is clearly magical.

They’d be outside the rules if they said it disappears when you enter an AMF, though. I’d have to reread the ability more closely to say if it’s properties are dampened like a normal magic item, or if they seem to be more like a dragon’s breath or flight.
Creatures and Objects.
A creature or object summoned or created by magic temporarily winks out of existence in the sphere. Such a creature instantly reappears once the space the creature occupied is no longer within the sphere.

Actually had this come up in a session last month. The War Domain Cleric had his Spiritual Weapon up when a beholder gazed upon the group with its Antimagic Cone. The Spiritual Weapon faded out, then popped back into existence the next round when the beholder deactivated the cone.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Creatures and Objects.
A creature or object summoned or created by magic temporarily winks out of existence in the sphere. Such a creature instantly reappears once the space the creature occupied is no longer within the sphere.

Actually had this come up in a session last month. The War Domain Cleric had his Spiritual Weapon up when a beholder gazed upon the group with its Antimagic Cone. The Spiritual Weapon faded out, then popped back into existence the next round when the beholder deactivated the cone.
The weapon isn’t necessarily the same, though, because it’s just a sword that can be summoned that way, not one that only exists via summoning.

The weapon isn’t necessarily the same, though, because it’s just a sword that can be summoned that way, not one that only exists via summoning.
Not how I would rule it. It's a "floating spectral weapon" based on the spell description. It only exists due to the magic of the spell, therefore is snuffed out of existence until out of the Antimagic field or cone.

EDIT: realizing you are probably referring to the pact weapon not the spiritual weapon. In that case, the way the warlock Pact of the Blade reads, I'd rule that it becomes a mundane weapon in their hand as it's "created" rather than "summoned".

EDIT2: I take that back... the pact blade WOULD wink out of existence: A creature or object summoned or created by magic temporarily winks out of existence in the sphere
The pact blade, whether created out of thin air, or from an existing magic item, is "created" hence "winks out"

Last edited:

Arial Black

Adventurer
The basic pact weapon (i.e. NOT an actual magic weapon you bind with a ritual) is created, not summoned or plane shifted.

It's not a magical process, it's as natural to D&D worlds as dragon breath, golems or ghosts.

Therefore, in an AMF a bladepact warlock can create a pact weapon, and it bypasses damage resistance/immunity AS IF it were a magic weapon, even though it is NOT a magic weapon. The AMF does NOT take away a weapon's ability to bypass DR, it stops it being magical while in the field. Since a pact blade is not magical, it works just fine in an AMF.

BTW, just because it's possible that a writer messes up their wording, this is not an excuse to assume every ability whose wording you wish were otherwise actually is worded the way you wish!

"Oh, hi DM, I know that the writers don't say I can cast wish as a 1st level fighter, but writers DO make mistakes so the conspicuous lack of wish on my PC must therefore be a mistake!"

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The basic pact weapon (i.e. NOT an actual magic weapon you bind with a ritual) is created, not summoned or plane shifted.

It's not a magical process, it's as natural to D&D worlds as dragon breath, golems or ghosts.
Here’s the thing though. That doesn’t make a lick of sense. A dragon’s breath is a natural property of a living animal that exist in the world - no different than a fish’s ability to breathe underwater or a bombardier beetle’s ability to squirt burning chemicals out of its butt. A ghost’s etherealness is a property of the material it is made from, no different than matter existing in different states like solid, liquid, gas, or plasma. Golems are spirits bound by magic to bodies of inert matter, which makes them a bit of an edge case. But creating a pact weapon? That’s an ability humanoids don’t naturally have, granted by a powerful extraplanar being, often a god. There’s no way to explain that other than magic.

Last edited:

Arial Black

Adventurer
Here’s the thing though. That doesn’t make a lick of sense. A dragon’s breath is a natural property of a living animal that exist in the world - no different than a fish’s ability to breathe underwater or a bombardier beetle’s ability to squirt burning chemicals out of its butt. A ghost’s etherealness is a property of the material it is made from, no different than matter existing in different states like solid, liquid, gas, or plasma. Golems are spirits bound by magic to bodies of inert matter, which makes them a bit of an edge case. But creating a pact weapon? That’s an ability humanoids don’t naturally have, granted by a powerful extraplanar being, often a god. There’s no way to explain that other than magic.
There's the same amount of sense with dragon's breath!

You can use magic to create a non-magical sword.

Warlock patrons can use their abilities-magical or not-to grant a mortal the NATURAL ability to create a pact weapon!

Just like they could grant a mortal the NATURAL ability to sprout wings and fly at will!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases