Ascension ability questions

Belzamus

First Post
Oh, hey, U_K. (how rude of me not to say hi last post. :blush:)

And...there were definitely some things that could have used fixing in Ascension...I just can't remember any of them! It's been a while since I pulled it up last, I'll try and take a long sometime. I have a crazy-busy weekend coming up, but...aw, who am I kidding, no need to make excuses here. :p

Belzamus said:
Oh, hey, U_K. (how rude of me not to say hi last post. :blush:)

No harm done Belzamus dude. :)

And...there were definitely some things that could have used fixing in Ascension...I just can't remember any of them!

That must mean its perfect as is! :p

It's been a while since I pulled it up last, I'll try and take a long sometime. I have a crazy-busy weekend coming up, but...aw, who am I kidding, no need to make excuses here. :p

Harsh but true. :(

Deinos

First Post
Transmute is a weird one, seems as problematic to handle as time travel in some regards. Should it be taken to let you even make orichalcum, neutronium, and antimatter?

DamienWilacoth

First Post
Transmute is a weird one, seems as problematic to handle as time travel in some regards. Should it be taken to let you even make orichalcum, neutronium, and antimatter?

That's usually the way I apply it. Considering that Orichalcum is the standard metal of Overgods (Sidereals), it doesn't seem unreasonable to allow them to use it to make it when they already paid 36 Divine Abilities for the ability. That said, I do try to keep it a little bit balanced - in order to transmute something into anything beyond Orichalcum (Neutronium, Antimatter, Black Hole, etc.), they need to pass a Knowledge check that they actually understand the material that they're trying to make. A highly intelligent First One with maybe a Divine Skill Focus in Knowledge (the planes) could hit the mark and make Neutronium. Otherwise, simply reserve it for higher tiers.

Deinos

First Post
True, I'm less worried about a First One spending all his divine ability slots to get Transmute so he can make limitless Orichalcum, and more worried about the ability to mass produce Neutronium and Antimatter... I seem to recall someone saying that Imperial Star Destroyers from Star Wars could not possibly be made of Neutronium, because one mile of Neutronium would crush the galaxy or at least screw around with entire solar system's gravity and such.

Still, its extremely hilarious to imagine a First One teleporting into a rival's divine realm and going "LOL YOUR ENTIRE WORLD IS NOW ANTIMATTER, ENJOY"

paradox42

First Post
Still, its extremely hilarious to imagine a First One teleporting into a rival's divine realm and going "LOL YOUR ENTIRE WORLD IS NOW ANTIMATTER, ENJOY"
Greg Bear (IIRC) wrote a novel called Anvil of Stars (also IIRC) which featured exactly this scenario as a ploy used by advanced aliens trying to stop the enforcement of an edict against creation of self-replicating machines against them. Fighters sent from the enforcement ship down to a world apparently populated by the advanced beings started sparking and exploding for no apparent reason, but it turned out that from their perspective the entire planet and everything on it was made of antimatter. Turned out, the planet was actually normal, but the aliens had hit the fighters with some sort of field-weapon that turned them into antimatter without any visible change. This would also fit your idea, since the point is that suddenly the entire "world" is something you can't physically interact with or face annihilation.

Hey guys! :)

While Anti-matter Dragons are something I have brewing, I wonder if Anti-matter would be the stuff of the negative dimensions - thus on the flipside of the pivotal point that is entropy?

Entropy being dimension zero of course.

If so, that means there might be something more powerful than the Supreme Being since each positive dimension would have a negative counterpart - thus even the Supereme Being of the 9th/10th Dimension would have its opposite force.

Thus there would need to be something beyond the 10th and -10th dimensions where Matter and Anti-matter could co-exist...possibly. :D

Deinos

First Post
The bit about turning people into antimatter without their knowledge greatly amuses me.

As to negative dimensions comprised of antimatter inhabited by "negatively existent un-beings that can only be guessed at," it sounds quite cool, though a bit hard to fathom how you'd get beings more... negative than umbrals. Actually, I'd like to know anything at all about umbrals, but...

Remove ads