Ask the Shadowrun line developer stuff

tylermalan

First Post
The dice pool is Attribute + Skill with a limit based on your gear (in this case your deck). Just like everything else in the game. Makes things a lot easier. What programs do varies based on the program, but they all give you bonuses. One might give you +1 damage on your Attack, one might increase your limit on a test or decrease the threshold, etc. They all have some sort of benefit and it's not tied to a rating, which again, just makes things so much easier. I'd go into more detail, but the Matrix rules are so damn simple now that I'd almost just be quoting directly from the book.

Ah, so, are there multiple skills that fall under the general category of "hacking?" For instance, what skill would you use if you wanted to search for a node? And, as a bonus question, what would be an example of a good program that you might want to run alongside the usage of that skill, based on the bonus that it gives you?

Abstruse

Legend
Ah, so, are there multiple skills that fall under the general category of "hacking?" For instance, what skill would you use if you wanted to search for a node? And, as a bonus question, what would be an example of a good program that you might want to run alongside the usage of that skill, based on the bonus that it gives you?
Before I explain that, let me explain what's changed fundamentally about the Matrix rules. Throw EVERYTHING you knew from any other edition out the window except the fluff. It'll be easier that way.

Every electronic device has two ratings, which are part of their hardware. Data Processing and Firewall. Data Processing is basically like the clock speed of your processor and RAM on modern computers. It's how fast the device can take data in and spit it back out again. Firewall is security - your firewall, anti-virus, and general security all rolled into one. Now, deckers have two additional attributes for their cyberdecks - Attack and Sleaze. Attack is just that - electronically smashing any icon you come across, potentially causing physical damage to the hardware via short circuits, overheating, etc. Sleaze is how you hide your actions on the Matrix. If you remember ANY other edition's attempts at hacking, you'll know how fragging SIMPLE that is and how much it just makes logical sense.

Now, here's the kicker. Because of the new Matrix security protocols implemented by Grid Overwatch Division (aka GOD) from the Corporate Court, the second you perform ANY illegal activity on the Matrix, the clock starts ticking. What's illegal? Anything that involves the Attack or Sleaze attributes of your deck in any way, shape, or form. You start generating what's known as the Overwatch Score (OS). Every single hit that any device gets defending against your actions adds to your OS. If you reboot your system, your OS is also reset but you'll have to start over with whatever you were doing. If you don't reboot in time and your OS score hits 40, then that's when a Convergence happens. Three VERY nasty things happen. First, your deck takes enough damage to potentially brick it. Second, you're ejected from the Matrix and immediately take Dumpshock damage (if you weren't kicked out when your deck melted, that is). Third, your PHYSICAL LOCATION is transmitted to both the host you were accessing and the host you were hacking. So a very likely scenario is that you will wake up to find your 200,000¥ cyberdeck is nothing but a puddle of silicon and plastic, you've got a splitting headache and a nosebleed, and you've got two different heavily armed security teams discussing amongst themselves who gets to bring you in for "aggressive questioning" or just shoot you in the face and leave it be. Oh, and the first illegal action you perform, you get 2d6 OS every fifteen minutes after it happens even if you don't do a single thing after that.

Now that we've got that out of the way, we can talk about the skills. There's six skills pretty much every hacker is going to take: Computer, Hacking, Cybercombat, Electronic Warfare, Hardware, and Software. Computer covers basic non-illegal computer use - the search that you mentioned before. Hacking involves illegal Matrix actions like trying to gain access to another system. Cybercombat is how you deal damage to other icons in the Matrix (which does a LOT more heavy lifting than it did in any previous edition of the game). Hardware and Software are more or less similar to the old B/R skills if you've played a previous edition. Finally, Electronic Warfare is...well, it involves signal manipulation and spoofing and...it's really hard to explain in a single sentence but once you read the Matrix chapter of the book, it makes PERFECT sense I promise.

GiraffeShaman

First Post
Me again. Thought of a few more questions. Thanks for the help JH!

1. Is Matrix Covergence automated? (Outside the hosts Convergence) Or it meant to represent a huge squad of elite cybercommando spiders laying the smackdown on someone? I'm wondering if you can have a bunch of G-Men snooping around after a disturbance, in addition to the Convergence itself. Or the mass distribution of stealth tags as was mentioned by Ab, if it might cause some G-Men to poke around the area, or even send physical security forces to the area.

2. Is there a way to get it so all a shadowrunner team devices are slaved to to the team Decker's cyberdeck? It appears some teams may have too many devices to due this do to limits on total devices slaved to the deck.

3. What do you think about Bull's temporary rule for Missions regarding Mystic adepts? (5 karma to purchase Power points)

4. What kind of timeline are we looking at for the Matrix and Street Magic books specifically? (The books I'm looking forward to the most)

5. What kind of timeline for the first SR5 errata to be released? (Currently being collected on 2 websites)

6. In regards to the Matrix, have the Megacorps taken over all radio frequencies for it? (Which would thus make any other type of radio transmission impossible, like your own private PAN) Are 4th edition style PANS gone? What I mean is, if you have a PAN in 5th edition, is it automatically considered to be part of the Matrix and thus Online?

7. Any possibility of some kind of future sequel to SR Returns using 5th edition rules?

8. Any tips for GMs roleplaying network spiders you'd care to impart? How do they stop those pesky data thieves in their homes?

thank you,

Skyscraper the Giraffe Shaman

Last edited:

Hi Jason, So I've read through the questions, and I see a lot about hacking, so I'm going a different route. Unfortunately I wasn't able to keep up with a lot of the plot through SR4, so I see your reference to Storm Front, and I've not read that. So I have a question about where the plot MIGHT be headed. I'm an old Earthdawn GM and player in addition to an SR GM and player. I loved the way the two game worlds were related. What I'm wondering is, are we going to start seeing more of that ancient enemy in the coming years as the magic level continues to rise. Where did things kind of end up with the end of the Dragon Heart saga?

Darrell Bowman

unnatural 20

Explorer
Hello Jason, thank you for taking the time to answer all these questions.

Virtual table top gaming, while still a considerably small community within a small community, seems to be gaining ground.

I imagine that with the next few years, more and more players will consider this method of slinging dice. I know with many of my friends spread out, it is the best option for me.

Has anyone thought of supporting a VTT for Shadowrun? I see that Paizo has begun work on one for Pathfinder.

sigma7

First Post
Also, the -2 penalty doesn't work the way a lot of people seem to think it does as an extra decker shield. The decker's probably going to be within 100m which is within handshake range meaning that the connection is now peer-to-peer. That means no -2 penalty from using the public grid to protect your smartlink or wired reflexes.

That makes perfect sense, but where is this rule for handshake range? I know that within 100m icons are perceivable unless deliberately hidden, but I have been trying to find "100m == bypass grid" to no avail.

I too am curious about most of the questions GiraffeShaman posted. Additionally, when will we get a "Wired" sourcebook with option for those that want to be connected but without (insecure and slow) wireless devices?

tylermalan

First Post
Before I explain that, let me explain what's changed fundamentally about the Matrix rules. Throw EVERYTHING you knew from any other edition out the window except the fluff. It'll be easier that way.

Every electronic device has two ratings, which are part of their hardware. Data Processing and Firewall. Data Processing is basically like the clock speed of your processor and RAM on modern computers. It's how fast the device can take data in and spit it back out again. Firewall is security - your firewall, anti-virus, and general security all rolled into one. Now, deckers have two additional attributes for their cyberdecks - Attack and Sleaze. Attack is just that - electronically smashing any icon you come across, potentially causing physical damage to the hardware via short circuits, overheating, etc. Sleaze is how you hide your actions on the Matrix. If you remember ANY other edition's attempts at hacking, you'll know how fragging SIMPLE that is and how much it just makes logical sense.

Now, here's the kicker. Because of the new Matrix security protocols implemented by Grid Overwatch Division (aka GOD) from the Corporate Court, the second you perform ANY illegal activity on the Matrix, the clock starts ticking. What's illegal? Anything that involves the Attack or Sleaze attributes of your deck in any way, shape, or form. You start generating what's known as the Overwatch Score (OS). Every single hit that any device gets defending against your actions adds to your OS. If you reboot your system, your OS is also reset but you'll have to start over with whatever you were doing. If you don't reboot in time and your OS score hits 40, then that's when a Convergence happens. Three VERY nasty things happen. First, your deck takes enough damage to potentially brick it. Second, you're ejected from the Matrix and immediately take Dumpshock damage (if you weren't kicked out when your deck melted, that is). Third, your PHYSICAL LOCATION is transmitted to both the host you were accessing and the host you were hacking. So a very likely scenario is that you will wake up to find your 200,000¥ cyberdeck is nothing but a puddle of silicon and plastic, you've got a splitting headache and a nosebleed, and you've got two different heavily armed security teams discussing amongst themselves who gets to bring you in for "aggressive questioning" or just shoot you in the face and leave it be. Oh, and the first illegal action you perform, you get 2d6 OS every fifteen minutes after it happens even if you don't do a single thing after that.

Now that we've got that out of the way, we can talk about the skills. There's six skills pretty much every hacker is going to take: Computer, Hacking, Cybercombat, Electronic Warfare, Hardware, and Software. Computer covers basic non-illegal computer use - the search that you mentioned before. Hacking involves illegal Matrix actions like trying to gain access to another system. Cybercombat is how you deal damage to other icons in the Matrix (which does a LOT more heavy lifting than it did in any previous edition of the game). Hardware and Software are more or less similar to the old B/R skills if you've played a previous edition. Finally, Electronic Warfare is...well, it involves signal manipulation and spoofing and...it's really hard to explain in a single sentence but once you read the Matrix chapter of the book, it makes PERFECT sense I promise.

Ahhh... I see. So, the skill is tied to the action. You say, "I want to gain access to a blocked system." You probably make a dice pool out of your character's Hacking skill combined with your deck's Attack attribute. And whichever program you choose to use for this will give you some kind of additional bonus... like lowering the threshold by 1, or doing 1 additional damage if you succeed on the attempt. Is that about right?

Abstruse

Legend
Me again. Thought of a few more questions. Thanks for the help JH!

1. Is Matrix Covergence automated? (Outside the hosts Convergence) Or it meant to represent a huge squad of elite cybercommando spiders laying the smackdown on someone? I'm wondering if you can have a bunch of G-Men snooping around after a disturbance, in addition to the Convergence itself. Or the mass distribution of stealth tags as was mentioned by Ab, if it might cause some G-Men to poke around the area, or even send physical security forces to the area.
Convergence is basically the point in which the security protocols of the Matrix finally pinpoint your exact location and confirm that you are, in fact, doing something illegal. It's not GOD but rather demi-GODs technically that descend upon you (they police regional hosts I believe rather than GOD which polices the entire global network). What happens during Convergence is bad enough on its own, but if you as GM want to really put the pressure on your decker, they DO have his physical location even if he's no longer in the Matrix.

2. Is there a way to get it so all a shadowrunner team devices are slaved to to the team Decker's cyberdeck? It appears some teams may have too many devices to due this do to limits on total devices slaved to the deck.
Yes, but like you said, you're limited to what the decker's deck can handle. I'd have to re-read the rules again to see how it works, but the team MAY be able to slave all their devices to their personal commlinks and then slave the COMMLINK to the decker's deck...but I'm not entirely sure if that sort of layered protection would work under the rules. It might also be a very bad idea because any mark given to a slaved device is also given to the master (marks are how you, as a hacker, gain access to icons, basically putting your stamp on the icon to try to gain some sort of administrator-level access to it).

4. What kind of timeline are we looking at for the Matrix and Street Magic books specifically? (The books I'm looking forward to the most)
My best guess is end of the year if we're very, very lucky. I'm highly curious about this as well Jason!

7. Any possibility of some kind of future sequel to SR Returns using 5th edition rules?
Considering the way the rules are built for this edition, it would be far easier for them to do a SHADOWRUN 2050 style book than it was for SR4A. And do NOT get me started on what a clusterfrag SR2050 was...horrible, horrible book...

Abstruse

Legend
Ahhh... I see. So, the skill is tied to the action. You say, "I want to gain access to a blocked system." You probably make a dice pool out of your character's Hacking skill combined with your deck's Attack attribute. And whichever program you choose to use for this will give you some kind of additional bonus... like lowering the threshold by 1, or doing 1 additional damage if you succeed on the attempt. Is that about right?
That's exactly how it works. Well, not technically because the rules work a little bit differently than that, but you've got the interaction of attribute, skill, deck, and programs down perfectly. It's the exact same system for combat. You shoot your gun using Pistols + Agility, your limit is the gun's Accuracy, and the type of ammo or modifications you have to the gun (smartlink, laser sight, etc.) can alter those numbers. So it's the exact same rules system across the board now which is something that hacking in Shadowrun has been in DIRE need of.

Remove ads