Ask the Shadowrun line developer stuff

GiraffeShaman

First Post
Convergence is basically the point in which the security protocols of the Matrix finally pinpoint your exact location and confirm that you are, in fact, doing something illegal. It's not GOD but rather demi-GODs technically that descend upon you (they police regional hosts I believe rather than GOD which polices the entire global network). What happens during Convergence is bad enough on its own, but if you as GM want to really put the pressure on your decker, they DO have his physical location even if he's no longer in the Matrix.
They don't get his physical location if he's running Sneak program, although the other parts of Convergence do happen.

There's a discussion on another board about what happens when a Decker attacks a system, fails, then simply logs off, then goes back 5 minutes later to try again. I'm curious how to handle this, although I do have some ideas now. JH's response to my question about the G-Men being intense on the Megacorp Grids was helpful, as it helps me realize these areas are like the rich and high secure areas in physical space. (In physical space, when you shoot up the windows of a shop in a rich area, the police respond much faster with elite forces than in poor areas)

So I think if you say hit a Renraku department store's site, then logged off and came back in 5 to 10 minutes, when you went after the host again you might find yourself getting jumped by either some Renraku corp deckers or G-Men. Particularly if some Renraku honcho is complaining. This is assuming you were wise enough to run a Sneak program (Which I'm making a rule of all my Deckers from here on out) and thus they can't get your physical location.

Last edited:

tylermalan

First Post
That's exactly how it works. Well, not technically because the rules work a little bit differently than that, but you've got the interaction of attribute, skill, deck, and programs down perfectly. It's the exact same system for combat. You shoot your gun using Pistols + Agility, your limit is the gun's Accuracy, and the type of ammo or modifications you have to the gun (smartlink, laser sight, etc.) can alter those numbers. So it's the exact same rules system across the board now which is something that hacking in Shadowrun has been in DIRE need of.

Thanks! And I would agree - can't wait to play this!

Tanstaafl_au

Explorer
Novels should start coming out in fall/winter 2013. We have some writers lined up for the initial batch, but if it goes well, I'd like to branch out, either in novels or in the novella line (which should also be continuing in the fall).

Jason H.

These novels will be released in some form of ebook format right? Would be sad if Shadowrun books were only dead tree versions.

CAFRedblade

Explorer
Yep. Some books get released only in PDF, which drives me nuts. Print on Demand, please.

Some of that is that they do smaller releases in PDF, then collect the results when they have enough for a larger print book.
Perhaps not always, but makes sense to me to do so.

Remove ads