Ask the Shadowrun line developer stuff

JM Hardy

First Post
Hi! I'm Shadowrun line developer Jason Hardy. I've been around EN World on and off for a long time (as user Jasnkat), but I created a new account to link to my Shadowrun e-mail for this excellent Shadowrun focus. I'll try to be involved in other threads, but if you have specific questions for me, put them here!

Note: I will treat the question "Why do you suck so much?" as rhetorical. The question "What makes you so awesome?" by contrast, will get a detailed response.

Jason H.

Abstruse

Legend
Can we get used cyberware at character generation? p91 and p451 disagree on the issue.

Any estimate on when "core sourcebooks" will start to be released (Unwired, Magic in the Shadows, Augmentation, Canon Companion, Shadowrun Companion, etc.)? And which one are we getting first?

You mentioned in the RPGnet Q&A that you'd have plot-based sourcebooks coming out quickly after the SR5 launch. How quickly and will this be a full sourcebook or one of the PDF mini-releases?

Any idea when Missions information for SR5 will be up (character generation guidelines, SR5-specific adventures, etc.)?

I've got a LOT more, but I figure those will do for a start.

JM Hardy

First Post
Replies beneath the questions.

Can we get used cyberware at character generation? p91 and p451 disagree on the issue.

No, you should not be able to get used cyberware at character generation.

Any estimate on when "core sourcebooks" will start to be released (Unwired, Magic in the Shadows, Augmentation, Canon Companion, Shadowrun Companion, etc.)? And which one are we getting first?

The combat sourcebook will be first. We're looking at late 2013 for it.

You mentioned in the RPGnet Q&A that you'd have plot-based sourcebooks coming out quickly after the SR5 launch. How quickly and will this be a full sourcebook or one of the PDF mini-releases?

The sourcebook I mentioned is a full 200-page beast. Look for it in fall 2013.

Any idea when Missions information for SR5 will be up (character generation guidelines, SR5-specific adventures, etc.)?

We should have a FAQ for Seasons 5 Missions by the end of the week. Then information will be flowing. The first of the new season of Missions should come out in August.

I've got a LOT more, but I figure those will do for a start.

I have no doubt you have plenty more, and I look forward to seeing them!

Jason H.

Abstruse

Legend
The combat sourcebook will be first. We're looking at late 2013 for it.

"Combat sourcebook" as in something like Canon Companion? More guns, advanced combat options? Are you still splitting the same way SR3/4 did? Matrix book, Cyber/bio/nanoware book, Magic book, Guns/combat book, Companion book, and just before the edition cycle's over a Rigging book?

Any hint what the 200 page sourcebook will be about?

JM Hardy

First Post
"Combat sourcebook" as in something like Canon Companion? More guns, advanced combat options? Are you still splitting the same way SR3/4 did? Matrix book, Cyber/bio/nanoware book, Magic book, Guns/combat book, Companion book, and just before the edition cycle's over a Rigging book?

Those are the basic categories, but we will be sorting the information within them somewhat differently. I'd be more detailed, but I'm still working on the exact divisions. So for combat, you're looking at more weapons, explosives, more combat options, martial arts, etc.

Any hint what the 200 page sourcebook will be about?

Sure! Read the last section of Storm Front.

Bonus answer: While the next season of Missions will premier in August as I mentioned, a SR4/SR5 hybrid of Missions run at previous conventions is out now. You can read a new blog post about it over at shadowruntabletop.com. I'd make that a link, but I can't yet with this new account.

Jason H.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
What's one thing that's always bothered you a bit about Shadowrun that was changed in this edition? What might be an example of something you maybe you always WANTED to change, but maybe couldn't (because it's too big, because it's not the right feel, because it turned out to be a horrible idea....)?

JM Hardy

First Post
What's one thing that's always bothered you a bit about Shadowrun that was changed in this edition? What might be an example of something you maybe you always WANTED to change, but maybe couldn't (because it's too big, because it's not the right feel, because it turned out to be a horrible idea....)?

Ooo, good questions. For the first part, there were a few things. The Matrix not being in line with the mechanics of the rest of the game and not using your attributes bothered me. Plus it was not the easiest thing to use. So we changed that. I also was not fond of the long wait slower characters had while faster characters raced around, so we worked on the initiative system. Those were some larger changes. Then there were smaller things, like adding seating stats to vehicles and changing the way Essence loss was calculated for bioware and cyberware (taking the smaller total Essence loss from the two categories and dividing it in half) that addressed some things that bugged me.

The second part is a tougher question. Probably the largest change I attempted but couldn't pull off was moving initiative to an action points-based system. There were a lot of cool possibilities for spells and gear in that system, it had interesting possibilities for tactical combat, and the idea for interrupt actions came out of that. But in the end it involved too much record keeping and slowed up combat too much, and the playtesters were, um, exceedingly clear in their displeasure with the system. So we threw action points out and went back to the drawing board. I'm happy with the initiative system we ended up with, but I still wonder if I could have made some variant of the action points work.

Jason H.

JM Hardy

First Post
So the entire book is about the...spoilery thing? (Seriously guys, read Storm Front. Best Shadowrun sourcebook since 3rd Ed). Or will it cover other stuff too?

Entire book about that thing, what it's doing to the Sixth World, and how people are responding. Lots of bad craziness going on out there!

Jason H.

Remove ads