D&D 5E Asmodeus in 5E Faerun

Irennan

Explorer
That, or I could try something more direct, like an email, or try to catch him at another convention, etc.

As a rule, I prefer the most direct forms of communication possible, even if those are usually eschewed in favor of social media these days.

Yeah, there are really many ways to contact Ed, or other authors, if you want to.

Irennan

Explorer
I'm counting on it. Of course, the harder part is getting a (satisfactory) reply.

Ed is truly kind, he always tries to give answers when he can. As far as I can see, a ''yes'' or ''no'' would suffice (asking if what THO said is true or not) because she was really clear in saying when Ed's word is canon and when it no longer is.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Ed is truly kind, he always tries to give answers when he can. As far as I can see, a ''yes'' or ''no'' would suffice (asking if what THO said is true or not) because she was really clear in saying when Ed's word is canon and when it no longer is.

I'd prefer to just ask about the contract/canon issue directly, rather than referring to a middleman.

Irennan

Explorer
I'd prefer to just ask about the contract/canon issue directly, rather than referring to a middleman.

Ok, I brought myself to ask Ed, and this is the answer:

Originally posted by Ed Greenwood:

Hi, Petter. Back in 1986, when TSR bought the Realms, they'd been aware of it since my articles in "The Dragon" (as it was then known) had started in 1979, and I'd been writing about it for 20 years or so. Having seen settings just "fall into limbo" when publishers went under or changed direction, I got some things put into my agreements with TSR over the years, and one of them was that everything I'd already written about the Realms, and would write or say, in interviews or at conventions, in the future, would be "official" or "canon" until something later published by TSR superceded it; WotC inherited this arrangement when they acquired TSR, and it still stands.
Anyone is free to have their own personal interpretation of what's canon FOR THEM, but that's the legal one, regarding canon FOR EVERYONE. Which they're stuck with, because they wouldn't know about the Realms AT ALL (unless they were in my local gaming group, or the readers of the long-running Campaign Hack zine, or readers of the Realms fiction published before TSR or D&D existed) except by virtue of that agreement.
The entire point of this, and the reversion clause, is that if the Realms ever vanished as a published imprint, I could continue to use it and publish new lore about it.
Hope that clarifies...

Since I'm still some dude saying stuff over the internet, here's a SS:

[sblock] Screenshot_1.png[/sblock]

Now we also know the reason of the agreement, and I think that it was a clever move on Ed's side to ask for that.
Furthermore, given this and that WotC doesn't seem to be interested in providing a general update of the Realms, for anyone who has questions about the post Sundering Realms, IMO it would be a good idea to ask Ed, since (assuming that he doesn't run into NDAs) he currently is the only official source that could reveal more details about them.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Cool - that pretty much answers everything. Thanks for that! :)

Though now we can move on to a new topic regarding "the reversion clause." ;)

(I kid, of course.)

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
You're welcome. I'm just happy that this matter could be clarified.

The matter was clarified a lot time ago... but not sufficiently well for a single special snowflake with entitlement issues. You ought to be commended for your patience.

Mod Note: Don't make it personal. Don't be insulting. Thanks. ~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The matter was clarified a lot time ago... but not sufficiently well for a single special snowflake with entitlement issues. You ought to be commended for your patience.

You're being too harsh on yourself, Scriv. Even if you have entitlement issues, we accept you anyway (blatant threadcrapping and all). :lol:

Last edited:

Remove ads