Assistance Figuring Experience

Akhkharu

First Post
Our party just finished an encounter last night and I would like to give them exact figures instead of just guessing. They fought well and amazingly no one died which I thought they might loose 1, maybe 2 characters.

The party consists of 3 lvl 9 and 2 lvl 8 characters.

The encounter they had consisted of 10 lvl6 fighters, 10 lvl5 archers, and 5 lvl1 shield-men.

If there is a program or if some one could explain how to figure it out, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,
Akh

Christian

Explorer
?? Figuring out an EL for the encounter might be complicated, but that's just a rough-n-ready (and in many cases, flawed) method for estimating the challenge when designing the encounter. For giving experience, just look up the CR of each creature on the chart in the DMG, as stated on DMG pp. 165-66 (where you can find the chart as well). For an average party level of 8 (round down, as usual), the 6th level fighters are worth 1,200 experience points each, the 5th level archers (assuming they are PC classes and not warriors) are worth 800 experience points each, and the 1st level shield-men are worth nothing (of themselves-see note at the end for a caveat). So, the grand total is 20,000 experience points for the encounter, or 4,000 for each PC. (This is comparable to what they'd get for a CR14 creature, which is a good estimate of the Encounter Level. I'm not surprised they had a tough fight ... EL +6 falls into the 'overpowering' category in the chart on page 102; the party was probably both tactically clever and lucky to fight through this wrecking crew.)

If the situation was such that the encounter was significantly more or less difficult than a straight-up fight, then the experience point award should be adjusted per the chart on page 167. The shield-men could factor into this in spite of being worth no experience in and of themselves. I would venture to suggest that the 20,000 x.p. is quite sufficient in this case ... In fact, although of course I can't say without a full description, I imagine that unless the PC's were quite ridiculously lucky, they must have had some kind of tactical advantage going into this combat for them to come out-this could reduce the experience point award to 10,000 or 16,667. I'd consider it, in any case-if this was one battle, they're looking at half of the experience they need to get to 9th or 10th respectively. That would take 13+ encounters of their normal challenge level.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Christian said:
?? Figuring out an EL for the encounter might be complicated, but that's just a rough-n-ready (and in many cases, flawed) method for estimating the challenge when designing the encounter. For giving experience, just look up the CR of each creature on the chart in the DMG, as stated on DMG pp. 165-66 (where you can find the chart as well).
Correct - EL doesn't have squat to do with XP. :cool:

WaterRabbit

Explorer
A different method (FR)

3 9th level characters
2 8th level characters
5 characters total = TC

CR 1 is (200/TC) * 5 = 200 for the 8th level characters
CR 1 is (0/TC) * 5 = 0 for the 9th.

CR 5 is 800/TC * 10 = 1600 for the 8th and
CR 5 is 675/TC * 10 = 1350 for the 9th.

CR 6 is 1200/TC*10 = 2400 for the 8th and
CR 6 is 900/TC *10 = 1800

For a total of 4200 each for the 8th and 3150 each for the 9th.

I like this method better as it allows the lower level characters a chance to catch up to the higher level characters. It is also easier to be more precise. YMMV

Remove ads