• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

At last! Yugoloths!

Anthraxus?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :eek: :eek: :eek:

*Runs around jumping up and down and squealing like a delighted schoolgirl*

Anthraxus is back! Anthraxus is back!

Thank you, Necromancer! Thank you, thank you, thank you, thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!

*Kisses multiple feet*

Now if only I didn't have to wait until November...

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
LOL! :) I knew about Anthraxus being back the second Scott released the tenative list of monsters. ;) But I'm glad you're happy too Ari.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
The Traveler said:
Well, Anthraxus was technically back ever since Hackmaster published him, but a d20 version is, as always, welcome :)

:D And just wait til ya see the d20 version. It is similar, but nothing like the one on the Creature Catalog site. I havent updated the unique demons, devils, etc. to match the way they are in the book, but most likely will eventually perhaps (same for a lot of the monsters....many got a face lift or "tweaking").

FriendlyFiend

Explorer
But are these really the loths?

Yep, getting the 'loths back is great news, but what about those power levels? Since MotP left us with ultroloths that can apparently be out fought, outrun and outthought by half of demon and devilkind are these really the loths we once knew and loved - however good the MMII/Tome of Horrors conversions may be?

Or are these low level stats just a really, really devious plot by our fiendish friends to throw everyone off the scent?;)

The Traveler

First Post
Re: But are these really the loths?

FriendlyFiend said:
Yep, getting the 'loths back is great news, but what about those power levels? Since MotP left us with ultroloths that can apparently be out fought, outrun and outthought by half of demon and devilkind are these really the loths we once knew and loved - however good the MMII/Tome of Horrors conversions may be?

Or are these low level stats just a really, really devious plot by our fiendish friends to throw everyone off the scent?;)
It could reflect a greater emphasis on the transmogrification that the Night Hags can offer an Ultroloth in return for serving them, a ritual that transforms them into beings that rival the Demon Princes and Archdevils. That was, after all, the case in 2E, and will be the case in my campaigns.

The Ultraloth has really been shafted in 3e...

Let's compare their spell-like abilities:

1e from the original MMII:
At will: Fear (by touch), Charm Person, Teleport Without Error, ESP, Clairvoyance, Clairaudience, create Illusion (as wand), Suggestion, Mislead, Magic Jar, Telekinesis, Detect Invisible, Read Magic, Comprehend Langauges, Invisibility, Telepathy.
1/day: Symbol, Wall of Fire, Blade Barrier, Word of Recall

2e from the PSMCI:
Always Active: Detect Scrying, Know Alignment, Pass Without Trace, Read Magic.
At will: Airwalk, Alter Self, Animate Dead, Animate Object, Bind, Call Lightning, Cause Disease, Charm Person, Control Winds, Detect Invisibility, Detect Lies, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Fear, Geas, Improved Phantasmal Force, Passwall, Produce Flame, Shout, Solid Fog, Teleport Without Error, Wall of Fire.
7/day: Color Spray
1/day: Fire Storm, Mass Suggestion, Symbol

3e from the MotP:
At Will: Alter Self, Deeper Darkness, Desecrate, Gaseous Form, Invisibility, Prying eyes, Scrying, See Invisibility, Suggestion, Teleport Without Error, Wall of Fire
3/day: Binding, Geas/Quest, Mass Suggestion
1/day: Symbol

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads