At Least 4 Months For Conversion Documents

Those waiting for official conversion documents from earlier editions of D&D to 5th edition are going to have to wait a bit longer. WotC's Mike Mearls says that "the person who needs to do the final approvals on them is serving on a jury that will take another 4 or so months. Sorry!" So it looks like we're talking July/August at the earliest. Thanks to Adrian for the scoop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those waiting for official conversion documents from earlier editions of D&D to 5th edition are going to have to wait a bit longer. WotC's Mike Mearls says that "the person who needs to do the final approvals on them is serving on a jury that will take another 4 or so months. Sorry!" So it looks like we're talking July/August at the earliest. Thanks to Adrian for the scoop.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Right, I understand that jury can be time consuming but it's not like you're not allowed contact with the outside world or locked in a jury room until a decision is made. You still get to go home and eat, there are times when you don't need to be at the trial that you can work. I mean what, it'll take maybe a couple days for this guy to approve?

I mean is their ENTIRE BUSINESS being held up by this guy being on jury duty? Might as well close the doors and send everyone home for 4 months then if you everything is going to get clogged at the bottleneck of this guy being out of the office.
You are assuming the jury person has nothing better to do when not at the courthouse than approve the conversion docs. We don't know what other responsibilites (s)he has that might be more important, like possibly the next (unanounced) 5E book, or maybe a family. It's much easier to believe it is all a conspiracy.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
It's much easier to believe it is all a conspiracy.

Naw, that's looking for zebras when you hear hooves in Texas. Never suspect a conspiracy has brought you to a place when a combination of an incompetent guide, bad directions, and a lousy map can lead to the same destination.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
How disappointing.

The conversion documents are the ideal solution for those who are not satisfied with 5E's comparatively very slow release schedule.

Grimjack99

First Post
While I'd wish more products and site material was coming out, its not. It is what is is. I'm not happy, but I don't work at WotC, and I don't know the limitations they're under. Until then, we can keep ourselves warm with wishes and speculation. OH, and awesome gaming too.

Hmmmm, Planescape, Hmmmmm, Spelljammer...

Dire Bare

Legend
You are assuming the jury person has nothing better to do when not at the courthouse than approve the conversion docs. We don't know what other responsibilites (s)he has that might be more important, like possibly the next (unanounced) 5E book, or maybe a family. It's much easier to believe it is all a conspiracy.

This. Thanks Thalmin for being a voice of reason. As soon as I saw the news item, I grimaced. Not because of the delay, although I am bummed over that. Because I knew this thread would be filled with negativity, armchair quarterbacking, and cries of "liars!"

The four month wait is most certainly a bummer, but life happens folks. I would FULLY expect that a series of FREE conversion guides would be a low priority and get bumped if they are temporarily down a team member. There are much more important things the D&D team is working on, I am sure.

WotC does have a small team for D&D, but they are not liars, not incompetent, and don't owe us any explanations other than what Mearls has told us. I will never understand the negative folks who just can't take WotC staff at their word, especially on eminently reasonable stuff like this.

Then again, it's threads like these that allow me to fill out my ignore list, so there's that.

Eric V

Hero
This is annoying, but if it's just the conversion document, it's no big deal. The number of people affected are minor.

Maybe...but it especially sucks when one is being told to convert stuff from DnD classics as a solution to not a lot of product coming out... :erm:

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I agree that I would like to see the conversion documents last month. I would also like to see Wizards publish monthly short modules. Possibly in addition to printing updated classic modules. But I can only hope.
I do know that WotC is working on something beyond PotA, though I don't know what it is. Maybe there will be an announcement at GAMA this week (IhopeIhopeIhope!)

JohnnyZemo

Explorer
It's funny how often you have an article about something around the same time that I was thinking about it!

I'm getting ready to run the Night Below campaign and part of Age of Worms using 5e, so I'd love to have the conversion guides. A lot of the Night Below creatures are in the 5e Monster Manual, so those are easy. Some of the other stuff will take a little more effort.

S

Sunseeker

Sure I suppose. Would wager that means conversion docs are pretty low on the totem pole then if their approval essentially got cut while this person is out, which doesn't bother me too much as I'm not really interested in converting old stuff.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
it's almost like it doesn't make any logical sense (like a lie).

That is ridiculus! WotC's communications have been top notch since 5e's launched!

In fact, communications are WotC's strenght, right after producing affordable books!

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads