• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Attack of Opportunity -- does it deserve to survive to v.4?

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
I love it. I just wish I didn't have to explain it to a certain player every time it comes up in play. I know I explain AoO's about a half dozen times each game, and he still can't comprehend... :\

Wiseblood

Adventurer
AoO's should be dropped when it comes to movement. Here is why. Fighter X and Fighter Y are in melee Rogue X (on the X team) moves past them. He is not running or throwing caution to the wind and is no more vulnerable to attacks than Fighter X. The result is Fighter Y should not get an attack when it is not his turn just because someone moved past him.

Example #2 Fighter X and Fighter Y are in melee, easch is using a bastard sword. Ranger Y is 15' away from them outflanking (not to be confused with flanking) team X and is trying to shoot Wizard X. Fighter X moves 15' away from Fighter Y to attack Ranger Y since he is out of reach immediately IE in 5'. Fighter Y should not get an attack of opportunity because there is no opportunity.

Remathilis

Legend
Seriously, the think that slows down combat for us is NOT AoOs, its special combat maneuvers, spells, and conditions (for the love of Jebus, if a spell says you're sickened, JUST TELL ME WHAT SICKENED DOES so I don't have to now look in the DMG for it...)

frankthedm

First Post
Those who do not want AoOs are those who think their characters deserve to be able to run across the helmets of trained warriors without being cut down & think it is unfair a readied spear set vs. charge will impale them first when attempting some silly manuever.

AoOs keep the game's combat anchored in D&D's wargaming roots. Hopefully AoOs in 4E will deny dex and dodge bonuses.

Driddle

First Post
the black knight said:
May Attacks of Opportunity die a slow painful death... but be fully dead before 4e.

I hear ya. They complicate and slow down combat scenes, reducing the experience to an elaborate mental bookkeeping of trump actions.

It was almost palatable when a character had a single AoO -- still more complication than necessary, but easy enough to remember when anyone had expended his one opening; it was a yes-or-no toggle. Don't need more A(s)oO beyond that, though. Please, no multiple opportunties via feats, special abilities, magic items, etc. ... Might as well play a game of Pokemon or M:TG instead.

I think AoO will need to stay. They might be severely revised and simplified in later editions, but the concept is important. Even the new Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying Game has a simple rule for Attack of Oppertunities (it is only related to moving, and nothing else, but it is a good example)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I won't get into particulars of how to clean them up or whatever, but I'm firmly in the pro-AoO camp.

If 4E eliminates them, I'll HR them back in.

Of course, there is some weird illogic in the idea that if I'm a big warrior battling a pair of monsters that are trying to tear my face off, and suddenly a little monster tries to run behind me, that I would suddenly spin around and hack at him, but I'm willing to accept that for the sake of the aforementioned desire to make movement through combat important.

Just because an AoO has been provoked doesn't mean it has to be taken. The big warrior may choose to ignore the flanker at his own risk...

frankthedm

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Of course, there is some weird illogic in the idea that if I'm a big warrior battling a pair of monsters that are trying to tear my face off, and suddenly a little monster tries to run behind me, that I would suddenly spin around and hack at him, but I'm willing to accept that for the sake of the aforementioned desire to make movement through combat important.
Unless you have combat reflexes, taking that AoO puts you in a bad spot. Do that and one of those monsters will likley try and grapple you on thier action. Al least in games where taking an AoO is a visualy noticable "over extending of oneself".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads