D&D 5E Attack of the Clones: Simulacrum

Undrhil

Explorer
Usually something like "The only reason you want to do this is to have your character become more powerful and be able to have your clones take all the risks while you get all the rewards. You aren't doing this for character reasons...you're doing them purely for power gaming reasons. Right?"

Nope. Purely for character reasons. Who cares that my Wizard wants to have an army of Simulacrum to do things and take the risks while he gets the rewards. *That's the point of the spell.* In fact, in your example of a 'good' use of Simulacrum, that was exactly why he was casting the spell: to get a Simulacrum to take an ultimatum to the bad guy (that's a risk) while they stay back and scry (that's a reward.)

So, yes. I *am* doing it for character reasons and you even agree that it's a good character reason.

Slit518

Adventurer
Let's make the meatiest wizard!

A level 20 Hill Dwarf Wizard with 20 Constitution and the Toughness feat!

Max 1st level HP - 6
Average HP from levels 2 to 20 - 4 x 19 = 76
Constitution HP - 20 x 5 = 100
Dwarven Toughness HP - 20 x 1 = 20
Toughness HP - 20 x 2 = 40
Total Level 20 HP - 242

A Simulacrum under this build would have 121 HP at level 20. I would call this the Simulacrum build.

Stalker0

Legend
I am now very interested in running a one off game where the players are all simulacrum of their originals.

The idea of playing off the lack of Learning...and having an adventure where you can't regain resources or heal...is a pretty interesting one

Phion

Explorer
Have not read the whole thread but dealing with one simulacrum I recommend dispel magic. If you want to deal with loads of them at once I would argue anti-magic field kills them off if they are in the aura, so you could just run through the army instantly killing them whilst they have no real defence as they are all spell casters.

Zinnger

Explorer
Have not read the whole thread but dealing with one simulacrum I recommend dispel magic. If you want to deal with loads of them at once I would argue anti-magic field kills them off if they are in the aura, so you could just run through the army instantly killing them whilst they have no real defence as they are all spell casters.

Take a close look at anti magic fields. It will not "kill" anything but only suppress it while the field exists in its place. As soon as you run past they will re-animate and continue with their mission...

Phion

Explorer
Take a close look at anti magic fields. It will not "kill" anything but only suppress it while the field exists in its place. As soon as you run past they will re-animate and continue with their mission...

My bad, have not read anti magic field in years

EvanNave55

Explorer
Extending that thought, a reason isn't technically required to invalidate the evil archmage clone army. NPCs and PCs just can't use simulacrum to create a clone army. Because if they could, then evil archmages could create an army of clones, and they'd already haven't they done so in the past. In which case, the current era could easily be dominated by clone armies. Presumably, there aren't clone armies in the far or recent past, so unless something changed, evil archmages in the current era can't either.
This gave me inspiration for wanting to build some worlds such as:

A world where as part of the lord millennia ago there was a great wizard war in which a number of powerful mages made use of simulacrum armies to wage war on eachother ravaging the world. So now there are laws set up by archimage councils banning anyone from creating to many simulacrum. So if someone starts making to many EVERYONE joins forces to put them down and stop it from happening again.

This led to another idea of running a campaign in a post apocalypse type setting in which the world was torn asunder from simulacrum. It'd be a sort of zombie apocalypse type setting except from simulacrum and rampant magic destroying the world rather than zombies and diseases/mutation/radiation. Though I suppose the magic zones could also cause all sorts of crazy mutations and magic diseases as well.
Hmm, maybe it would play basically the same as a standard zombie apocalypse type setting (with minor changes/twists) at lower levels and various simulacrum could be like different 'boss" zombies. If the get higher level then you could start fighting simulacrum more regularly and other magically mutated monsters (hmm, standard beholders could be a could 'mutation' and side effect of all this, I wonder what roll dragons would have played in the struggles and how they would have been effected, ooh so many things to think about) and when they start reaching upper levels they could encounter some wizards that actually survived and perhaps some other organizations like remaining outposts of mage hunters that tried to stop all this from happening (with the standard inside corruption and intrigue any good and 'pure'/holy organizations has got to have). Oh man, there is so much I want to build from this and think about now.

Actually the two worlds could be one and the same, only the first setting is a few millennia after the second where the world has (atleast mostly) recovered.

P.S. thanks for the inspiration.
Now I've just got to start putting these settings together.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

Remove ads