D&D 5E Attunement

S'mon

Legend
IMC there is one attuned item, an artifact sword, among the three 6th-7th level PCs, so not an issue for me (they only just got that sword and the wielder will need to return it to its tomb eventually or fall to demonic corruption).
There are only a couple non-attuned permanent items, and one of those likewise needs to go back to the tomb after it's been used to defeat the demons.

I think for the OP, as you are running a high-magic campaign the best thing would be to not use attunement. Alternately make most items not require it.

DaveDash

Explorer
What's the DMG recommendation? I never noticed that.

There's a tiny little paragraph at the bottom of the page, where the Treasure Hoard section begins.

I'm not actually following those guidelines, but rather doing it based on what feels right, and I'm tracking about 1/2 what they say in that paragraph.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I have ran into the problem of people passing up magic items because of Attunement.

At lower-mid levels the problem can be mitigated by allowing people to remove the enchantment off of that +1 longsword nobody wants and placing it on a greataxe or something.

At higher levels, you might want to consider making magic item sets: You attune to the set, a bunch of magic items at once, but you can't mix and match magic items.

S'mon

Legend
There's a tiny little paragraph at the bottom of the page, where the Treasure Hoard section begins.

I'm not actually following those guidelines, but rather doing it based on what feels right, and I'm tracking about 1/2 what they say in that paragraph.

You mean the paragraph "over the course of a typical campaign a party finds treasure hoards amounting to..."
I didn't think that qualified since the contents of a rolled hoard are wildly variable. My group probably has had much more cash than that at times, enough for two of them to buy nice little town villas, but at 6th-7th level they only have three permanent items, and two of those are recently acquired 'on loan' (Demonslayer the artifact greatsword, and a wand of lightning bolts); the third being the +1 dagger found on the first level of Dyson's Delve.

From what I can tell my campaign looks to fit well within the 'low magic' paradigm for 5e, currently each of the three main PCs has one permanent magic item but they are either minor (+1 dagger) or loaners with flaws (Demonslayer can corrupt its wielder; the lightning bolt wand has a 1 in 12 chance per use of zapping the user). I like it that this works fine in 5e, the PCs remain well-balanced and three level 6 PCs can take on CR5 monsters just fine.

DaveDash

Explorer
You mean the paragraph "over the course of a typical campaign a party finds treasure hoards amounting to..."
I didn't think that qualified since the contents of a rolled hoard are wildly variable. My group probably has had much more cash than that at times, enough for two of them to buy nice little town villas, but at 6th-7th level they only have three permanent items, and two of those are recently acquired 'on loan' (Demonslayer the artifact greatsword, and a wand of lightning bolts); the third being the +1 dagger found on the first level of Dyson's Delve.

From what I can tell my campaign looks to fit well within the 'low magic' paradigm for 5e, currently each of the three main PCs has one permanent magic item but they are either minor (+1 dagger) or loaners with flaws (Demonslayer can corrupt its wielder; the lightning bolt wand has a 1 in 12 chance per use of zapping the user). I like it that this works fine in 5e, the PCs remain well-balanced and three level 6 PCs can take on CR5 monsters just fine.

Like I said, I've been adding hoards where it makes sense to add them. Dragons, BBEGs, etc. Also like I said, I've probably had about 1/2 the hoards the "typical" campaign has (according to the DMG). I've rolled for every single one, and now at level 16 my group is getting a pile of magic items that are gathering dust. *See below.

Yet there's a huge amount of consumables in there that ironically are incredibly powerful (potions), yet you end up collecting a massive number of them - and they stack. The Paladin in my group drank a few (oil of speed, potion of storm giant strength, etc) then went off to solo a CR18 Dragon at level 14.

Besides that, after a while there's a few nice items they're simply not attuning. A couple of Ioun stones are gathering dust, a pearl of power, a cube of force, slippers of spider climb, staff of frost, a lot of wands, a Cli Lyre, boots of winterkind, and gloves of swimming and climbing. All sitting there gathering dust in various bags of holding.
The cube of force I'm especially disappointed about, would be nice to have seen them put that to more use.

Anyway, I've come up with a revised Attunement table which I am going to try out in my next game, which adds an additional specific item type slot at levels 11, 14, 17, and 20. This is based on item types I see never getting attuned.

Party Resources.JPG

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
We haven't had any problems, but we don't hand out a ton of magic. If you like to hand out magic, you'll have expand attunement slots or hand out items that don't require it.

It's another reason why I like 5E. Zero magic items is the default. It's very easy to expand magic items without hurting game balance.

My personal taste for magic item distribution is what you would find in Lord of the Rings. A few magic items that are very dear to the character.

Last edited:

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
I have not run into a problem with the limit. In fact, players can only attune to one item, plus one for every 5 levels.

Low levels few items, and at 20th a possible, but highly improbable, 5 items. No christmas trees in my games :)

Also, rolling for items can create issues with items you might not like. Have them make three rolls, and take the one out of the three you feel is most appropriate.

Hussar

Legend
You have seven players, which means to hit the ceiling you need to hand out 21 attunement items. It sounds like you're giving out 2-3 per level (given 3-5 encounters) which means the party should be about 10th level before the limit is reached. Then again, you've given out somewhere around 14 by level 6, so, that's a LOT of attunement items.

Why not start giving out a lot more non-attunement items? I thought that attunement items were the special ones, those ones that make the group go "golly gee"when you find one.

You don't have to follow someone's strict regiment on magic item distribution. But, perhaps a bit of thought about what kinds of items you're giving out might be in order.

Remove ads