• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AU Champion vs. Paladin

Valiantheart

First Post
Has anyone had the opportunity to use Monte's champion class?

I like the overall flavor of the class because it allows for customization and it does away with the extremely roleplay restrictive alignment and behavior requirements of the Paladin.

It also has a built in GMW ability which helps to make the class more versatile for weapon selection but also doesnt make it as magic item dependent as the normal Paladin. Causes seem a great way for campaign and character customization. It would be easy to creat causes for good, evil, tyranny, disease, law, etc.

It does seem a bit overpowered (a flaw of virtually all Monte Cook classes), but with a little tweaking it looks like it could be a great Paladin replacement.

Has anybody played the class or considered replacing the Paladin with it or something else?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wombat

First Post
Well, I haven't used this class yet (I shall be shortly with a campaign I am putting together), but I have had a campaign with Green Ronin's Holy (and now Unholy) Warrior classes (see Book of the Righteous and Unholy Warrior). I found those classes went a long way towards clearing up the frustrations I had with the Paladin class.

OTOH, the Champions look great and I am looking forward to seeing them in action. :)

GenLang

First Post
Semantics are rather important, as Unearthed Arcana (UA) comes out next spring. Having AU and UA on the shelves at the same time is going to cause some heads to explode, I am sure.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads