• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E August 2nd playtest package "fix"

Li Shenron

Legend
Just noticed from the playtest feedback reminder email, that there has been an amend to the latest playtest package, namely the Equipment chapter is said to have been an "experimental" version that was released accidentally.

Currently the WotC website seems to be down for maintenance, so I couldn't get the amended package to check for differences, has anyone managed to get it already?

Weird, I didn't even notice anything particularly "experimental" on the current Equipment document :)

cmbarona

First Post
Looks like there were a number of relatively minor changes. No more "Worn" or "Critical" properties of weapons. Flail is Martial. There are different damage dice for great club, mace, quarterstaff, great sword, maul, pike, trident, longbow and the hand and light crossbows. Spear is versatile again. Scimitar lost Light, making it inherently inferior to rapier and short sword. Spiked chain is back. Warhammer is no longer versatile.

That's just at first glance, I haven't looked over gear.

babomb

First Post
Armor
Typo fixed in description of AC.

Armor proficiency description changed from "If you put on armor that you cannot use..." to "While you wear armor that you are not proficient with..."

Buckler description was added:
Buckler. Smaller and lighter than a normal shield, a buckler provides a modest amount of protection.

(Yes, plate still weighs 110 lb.)

Weapons
The critical and worn weapon properties have been removed.

The description for weapon proficiency now says your class grants proficiency, rather than your race, class, and certain feats.

Weapon table changes:
  • Club does 1d4.
  • Flail is a martial, rather than simple weapon.
  • Great club does 1d8.
  • Mace does 1d6.
  • Quarterstaff does 1d6.
  • Sickle does 1d4.
  • Spear is no longer versatile.
  • Light crossbow does 1d8.
  • Great sword does 1d12.
  • Maul does 1d12.
  • Quarterstaff now does 1d4.
  • Pike does 1d8.
  • Scimitar is no longer light.
  • Spiked chain added. 15 gp, 1d8 piercing, 2 lb., reach, two-handed.
  • Trident does 1d8 and is no longer thrown or versatile.
  • Warhammer is no longer versatile.
  • Hand crossbow does 1d6.
  • Heavy crossbow no longer has the heavy property.
  • Longbow does 1d8.

"and it can also let you pull standing creatures to the ground." was removed from the halberd description.

Formless creatures are immune to nets.

In the Oriental Weapons sidebar. "Oriental" was de-capitalized. "Tantō" was changed to "Tanto"

Adventuring Gear
"This section describes" was changed to "This section includes".

Under Equipment Proficiency, "following the table" was removed.

Artisan's tools, Climber's kit, Disguise kit, Healer's kit, Musical instrument, Navigator's tools, Poisoner's kit, and Thieves' tools no longer have asterisks indicating they require proficiency, but the descriptions still indicate they do, except for the Healer's kit.

Dice and playing cards can now be purchased for 10 sp, in addition to being included in the gaming kit.

"Pouch" was changed to "Pouch, belt".
"Sledge" is now listed in the table in addition to "Hammer, sledge" (and it has the same cost and weight, so I don't think it means the vehicle.)
"Spade or shovel" is listed in addition to "shovel" (with the same cost and weight).

Substantial description changes:
  • Artisan's Tools: The second paragraph was accidentally pasted into the hunting trap description.
  • Caltrops: "until it regains this hit point" was changed to "until it regains any hit points".
  • Climber's Kit: Rather than allowing proficient characters to avoid making checks, it gives proficient characters a +2 to checks.
  • Disguise Kit: Now specifies that it contains 10 uses. It was also partly reworded.
  • Healer's Kit: No longer requires proficiency to get advantage on checks to administer first aid. It was also reworded, poorly.
  • Hunting Trap: instead of 1d4 damage and stop moving, does 1d6 and the creature is restrained. No longer mentions a chain. Part of the description for Artisan's Tools was accidentally pasted into it.
  • Manacles: now DC 19 instead of 20 to escape or DC 21 instead of 20 to break.
  • Poison, basic: no longer called carrion crawler brain juice. Can be applied to one weapon or three (instead of one) pieces of ammunition. DC 11 Con save instead of 10. Does 1d4 damage rather than paralyzing. Rather than lasting until the first hit, lasts for 1 minute from application.
  • Ram, Portable: Gives advantage instead of +4. If aided, the minimum die roll on the check is STR - 2.
  • Scale, Merchant's: Gives advantage on checks to appraise. No longer specifies weights "up to 2 pounds".

Stalker0

Legend
Plate still weighs 110.

I think the reason they are doing that is to force people to have some strength in order to wear the heavier armor. For example, a wizard can now wear full plate and casts spells if he has proficiency, but couldn't do it with less than a 12 strength unless he wants to take penalties.

I don't agree with the approach, but i understand it.

So is it correct that certain weapons don't get a special critical die anymore? That was one of my favorite parts!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads