Avatar Legends: The Roleplaying Game Kickstarter is live!

The Kickstarter for Magpie Games' Avatar: Legends RPG has launched and is hurtling towards $1M in its opening hours. Set in the world of Avatar: The Last Airbender, and The Legend of Korra, this tabletop roleplaying game includes a free quickstart which you can download today. Update — it hit $1M in the first few hours, making it the fastest ever TTRPG Kickstarter to do so. Update -- after...

The Kickstarter for Magpie Games' Avatar: Legends RPG has launched and is hurtling towards $1M in its opening hours. Set in the world of Avatar: The Last Airbender, and The Legend of Korra, this tabletop roleplaying game includes a free quickstart which you can download today.

Update — it hit $1M in the first few hours, making it the fastest ever TTRPG Kickstarter to do so.

Update -- after less than two days, it has made over $2.3M, already making it the biggest TTRPG Kickstarter ever (with nearly a month yet to go!)

9981ccd83ca099727cc5c12299cc7d7a_original.jpg

Avatar Legends: The RPG is a heroic fantasy game set in the universe of Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra in which you and your friends take on the role of young heroes from across the Four Nations who have joined together to make the world a better place. It’s a game for people of all ages who want to look at the world beyond the scope of the existing stories and explore the meaningful actions heroes take for the good of others.

I want Bumi the mad genius!

That could be a lot of stuff. It could be zero books. We just don't know. The Kickstarter could be a spike in interest and once people get the game in hand they turn their nose up at it or lose interest. PBTA are generally not dedicated fighting games, so I'd guess a stand-alone monster book or books isn't going to happen. More likely folded into whatever module or sourcebook makes the most sense. So too with legends. My bet is era books (with legends, monsters, and modules) and maybe a GM book. Maybe nation books...but those depend a lot on era. Maybe bending books, or a bending book, or a technique book...but it's PBTA, so it's not likely there will ever be an exhaustive book of powers, etc.

Potentially, sure. But the canon question is really what matters. What they can and cannot do will determine what we get, if anything, beyond the Kickstarter itself. I'd hope we'd get more but there have been "one and done" licensed games before. Green Ronin's DC Adventures as an example. It was only the 3-4 books and that's it. No intention of making a continuing line of products.
Given Magpie's track record, I'd hazard a guess Avatar Legends would will the same level of support as Masks, Urban Shadows 1e, and Bluebeard's Bride got. A core book, a few supplements, and some add-on accessories like dice and card decks. Otherwise generally treated as standalone, and once they're done with all that they'll move on to other projects (such as Root, where is Root, how much longer do we have to wait???)

darjr

I crit!
Given Magpie's track record, I'd hazard a guess Avatar Legends would will the same level of support as Masks, Urban Shadows 1e, and Bluebeard's Bride got. A core book, a few supplements, and some add-on accessories like dice and card decks. Otherwise generally treated as standalone, and once they're done with all that they'll move on to other projects (such as Root, where is Root, how much longer do we have to wait???)
Maybe, but I’d wager that their supplements would earn them more than their other games core books.

darjr

I crit!
Sure, but you always have to develop your own IP, because you always have to hand back licensed IP at some point. It’s never yours.
They could do a bit of both. What would you do in their shoes?

edit: especially given that they seem to abandon or quit working on older stuff anyway.

So an update on the Kickstarter, it passed $4 million overnight ($4.08 million now) and will likely double Colville's $2.1 million Kickstarter before the day's out.
Seem like it grew beyond even Magpie's wildest expectations! They had 4 million dollars worth of stretch goals prepared. They were properly like, "that should be enough for the entire campaign. We might have to make a few more at the last week if things go well." Then again, running out of stretch goals is one of those problems you want to have :D

While I don't expect Avatar Legends to dethrone D&D, it's looking quite like a 500 lb. gorilla at the moment.
Let’s not get carried away here. A $4m+ RPG Kickstarter is freaking awesome, but you’re still talking about a Kickstarter with 35k backers

There are several established RPGs with more players than that on Roll20 alone, let alone all electronic and physical tabletops. D&D has millions of players, so is several magnitudes bigger than this.

I’m super excited that it’s doing so fantastically well, but lets temper our expectations a little.

Remove ads

Remove ads