Avatar Legends: The Roleplaying Game Kickstarter is live!

The Kickstarter for Magpie Games' Avatar: Legends RPG has launched and is hurtling towards $1M in its opening hours. Set in the world of Avatar: The Last Airbender, and The Legend of Korra, this tabletop roleplaying game includes a free quickstart which you can download today. Update — it hit $1M in the first few hours, making it the fastest ever TTRPG Kickstarter to do so. Update -- after...

The Kickstarter for Magpie Games' Avatar: Legends RPG has launched and is hurtling towards $1M in its opening hours. Set in the world of Avatar: The Last Airbender, and The Legend of Korra, this tabletop roleplaying game includes a free quickstart which you can download today.

Update — it hit $1M in the first few hours, making it the fastest ever TTRPG Kickstarter to do so.

Update -- after less than two days, it has made over $2.3M, already making it the biggest TTRPG Kickstarter ever (with nearly a month yet to go!)

9981ccd83ca099727cc5c12299cc7d7a_original.jpg

Avatar Legends: The RPG is a heroic fantasy game set in the universe of Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra in which you and your friends take on the role of young heroes from across the Four Nations who have joined together to make the world a better place. It’s a game for people of all ages who want to look at the world beyond the scope of the existing stories and explore the meaningful actions heroes take for the good of others.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I mean, if $8M ttrpg kickstarters become normal then don’t get me wrong, I’m all on board for and very much looking forward to my $8M Kickstarters, but I don’t think that’s going to happen.

MarkB

Legend
See, I love Avatar, but have never enjoyed any PbtA game other than Monster of the Week. I backed because I figured the book would be a good source of world info for my 5e game. I got a great 3rd party document from Drivethru that covers this material for 5e.
I've enjoyed some PBtA games (and moreso the spin-off Forged in the Dark system) but what I've read of the system on the Kickstarter page doesn't really pique my interest. It feels more like I'd be playing an attitude or a personality trait than a fully-formed character.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
If I'm not mistaken, before 5e, almost everyone thought that DnD was dead and would never surpass Pathfinder. Pretty much no one saw the behemoth it ended up becoming, and even dwarfing Pathfinder by an unimaginable magnitude.
You're mistaken. It was still the #2 selling RPG, selling much more than other actively publishing RPGs. No one in their right mind ever thought D&D was dead.

And since it used to dwarf everything and many gamers considered the slide of D&D to the #2 spot the fault of the divisive feeling about 4e in the gamer populous, many if not most D&D players expected it's return to the top spot with a new edition.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
If I'm not mistaken, before 5e, almost everyone thought that DnD was dead and would never surpass Pathfinder. Pretty much no one saw the behemoth it ended up becoming, and even dwarfing Pathfinder by an unimaginable magnitude.
It's been argued that much of Pathfinder's success had less to do with Pathfinder itself, and more to do with people being unwilling to switch to 4th Edition and abandon the OGL.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's been argued that much of Pathfinder's success had less to do with Pathfinder itself, and more to do with people being unwilling to switch to 4th Edition and abandon the OGL.
Pathfinder’s success was a perfect storm of a lot of things. That was one factor — and having been producing Dragon Magazine and keeping all those customers was another — but the sheer competence of Paizo was a massive factor. In the same situation, even with the same connections, I couldn’t have pulled off what they did.

Staffan

Legend
Pathfinder’s success was a perfect storm of a lot of things. That was one factor — and having been producing Dragon Magazine and keeping all those customers was another — but the sheer competence of Paizo was a massive factor. In the same situation, even with the same connections, I couldn’t have pulled off what they did.
Indeed. It is telling that it was Paizo/Pathfinder that became the "custodians" of "proper" D&D, and not things like Arcana Evolved or Trailblazer.

Remove ads

Remove ads