• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Avenger Experience?

My Lego

Explorer
Quick nitpick:

The word is "Censure," which means a strong expression of disapproval; close in definition to "rebuke."

Not "Censor," which is someone who prohibits offensive material from being released to the public.

I see :p

Sorry about that, not having English as first language kicked in here.

lukelightning

First Post
I would think an elf might make an ideal pursuing avenger.

High movement rate: Check.
Wis bonus: Check.
Dex bonus: Check.
Elven ability to reroll an attack? Check.

Can you use the elven reroll and the avenger reroll with the same attack?

Quick nitpick:

The word is "Censure," which means a strong expression of disapproval; close in definition to "rebuke."

Not "Censor," which is someone who prohibits offensive material from being released to the public.

And then there is censer (a receptacle for burning incense).

Storminator

First Post

Can you use the elven reroll and the avenger reroll with the same attack?

Absolutely.

From the Oath: "... If an effect lets you reroll an attack roll and you rolled
twice because of this power, you reroll both dice."

Extra double sweet!

PS

Caliban

Rules Monkey

Able to ignore difficult terrain penalties when shifting: Check.

Several of the Censure of Pursuit related powers let you shift multiple squares - being able to zoom through difficult terrain is handy.

Storminator

First Post
Thank you for the file. The thing is that assuming the ranger and avenger both take superior weapons, find appropriate items and take weapon focus the ranger comes out on top unless the avenger has it's censure damage. If the avenger on the other hand gets censure damage it does more damage then the ranger and is closer to a rogue. (The rogue with CA on the other hand out damages both the avenger and the ranger by quite a bit) :)

I may have missed something and if so please tell me.

I think you missed some things. ;)

First, monster AC has a strong effect on average damage, and I don't think you've modeled that. At those ACs and those attack values, the Avenger should be using an execution axe.

I haven't really looked at it, but there are lot of items and feats that key off getting a crit. Avengers gain a lot of mileage out of those. With a weapon Mastery feat at epic level an Avenger is critting almost 20% of the time. If they're getting a Channel Divinity, or a weapon or feat bonus, that adds up.

And being almost as good as Twin Strike... that's pretty good, isn't it?

PS

Akaiku

First Post
With a weapon Mastery feat at epic level an Avenger is critting almost 20% of the time.

How would they do that? They are always missing half of the requirements for any weapon mastery feat. They have no use for str and 17 is the lowest requirement for any mastery, (light blade)

My Lego

Explorer
I think you missed some things. ;)

First, monster AC has a strong effect on average damage, and I don't think you've modeled that. At those ACs and those attack values, the Avenger should be using an execution axe.

True, I only showed damage vs. equal lvl skirmishers and the avenger used a Fullblade instead of an executioners axe. While I do feel that modeling lvl appropriate opponents gives a pretty good picture of how the damage scales the executioners axe is over all a better choice for the avenger. I'll send a file where you can change the weapon the ranger and avenger use.

I haven't really looked at it, but there are lot of items and feats that key off getting a crit. Avengers gain a lot of mileage out of those. With a weapon Mastery feat at epic level an Avenger is critting almost 20% of the time. If they're getting a Channel Divinity, or a weapon or feat bonus, that adds up.

There are several, at least until epic but like Akaiku said they really won't be getting any weapon mastery feats to speak of. The thing is that the increased crit range does so much for them, and in our experience the CoP kicks in so rarely, that you can really dump your dex so you just qualify for the weapon mastery feats and spend the rest on strength or do some crazy multiclassing to starlock to pick up the student of Caiphon PP and get 18-20 crit range with radiant powers. With the high strength and med to low dex and wiz you should really take some of the multi attack powers that other classes offer since those tend to help you way more then they help the classes that have them. (You hit exceptionally well and on the off chance that you censure kicks in it is applied to every hit) But then we have an avenger that dumps or rather ignores it's main class abilities, it's secondary and primary stats and it's powers... I, personally, feel that they missed their mark a bit with the avenger.

And being almost as good as Twin Strike... that's pretty good, isn't it?

It would be but I just don't see how they are almost as good. Remember the ranger does not have to position himself to get to use twin strike while the avenger has to get into position to use it's oath. And if we look at the rogue who also has to get into position to use it's powers the rogue does way more damage then either the ranger or the avenger.

View attachment Basic Ranger_Avenger_Rogue_comp_update.xls

Last edited:

abyssaldeath

First Post
Able to ignore difficult terrain penalties when shifting: Check.

Several of the Censure of Pursuit related powers let you shift multiple squares - being able to zoom through difficult terrain is handy.
That is so true. I never really thought much of the 4e Elf until I saw one in play. Ignoring difficult terrain is awesome.

kmdietri

Explorer
I'm thinking I really want to try:

Censure of Retribution:
20 Int
Melee Training (Int)
Shield Proficiency (Light)
A Jousting Shield.

See how many OA's I can draw on the way to my oath each round...
See if I could survive a session...

Played this last night... went pretty much as I expected it too. Did tons of extra damage.

Played an Eladrin, and used Fey Step and Distracting Flare to get into positions to charge and draw OA's.

I had censure damage on almost every attack and a few times I had +15.

But, also as predicted I got beat on pretty severly, never dropped but I took a lot of healing.

I went Thay as my character Background so that I could use my 21 Int for HP.

This was a delve, so I don't know how viable it would be in a long campaign.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads