• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Awarding Experience

ControlFreak

First Post
I've always been a bit confused on how to award experience at the end of a fight. Let's say that the group is 4 people, all 1st level. They are fighting 3 monsters, all CR1. Finally, the room in the adventure I'm using shows EL 3.

My first instinct is to award 900 XP divided between the 4 players (225 each), but does the EL of the room give any bonus?

Thanks in advance,
CF

Infiniti2000

First Post
ControlFreak said:
My first instinct is to award 900 XP divided between the 4 players (225 each), but does the EL of the room give any bonus?
No, it doesn't. The EL is merely meant as a guideline for how tough the encounter is overall. You only use CR for experience, perhaps with some ad hoc experience point adjustment.

Artoomis

First Post
Disclaimer: This is just my personal take on this:

Forget all the formulas, etc. Instead use the Variant: Free-Form Experience form page 39 of the DMG where you award 75xp for each level for each PC per ordinary encounter. Award more or less based upon how more or less difficult the enounter is designed to be.

Keep it simple - keep your sanity!

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
We use EL to award experience, divided by number of players. The reason is that the EL treats the multiple creatures as one and takes into consideration any circumstantial factors (ambush, weakened/strengthened, special items, and so on).

Works well so far.

Infiniti2000

First Post
andargor said:
The reason is that the EL ... takes into consideration any circumstantial factors (ambush, weakened/strengthened, special items, and so on).
No, it doesn't. I think you're using EL differently than intended. It's not wrong since you say it works for you, but you're not explaining it correctly. CR may be modified for various modifications to a creature. And neither is modified for special situations (not even EL). Instead, for something like an ambush, the book advises you to use an ad hoc XP adjustment.

A big downside to EL from a player's perspective is that it will actually award less XP. For example, a CR 7 + CR 3 creature is only EL 7. So, the party will get no XP from the CR 3 creature when, in fact, they should. On the other hand, if you miscalculate the EL to be 8 in this example, you'll artificially increase the XP (I think--but I'd have to check the chart).

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Infiniti2000 said:
No, it doesn't. I think you're using EL differently than intended. It's not wrong since you say it works for you, but you're not explaining it correctly. CR may be modified for various modifications to a creature. And neither is modified for special situations (not even EL). Instead, for something like an ambush, the book advises you to use an ad hoc XP adjustment.

A big downside to EL from a player's perspective is that it will actually award less XP. For example, a CR 7 + CR 3 creature is only EL 7. So, the party will get no XP from the CR 3 creature when, in fact, they should. On the other hand, if you miscalculate the EL to be 8 in this example, you'll artificially increase the XP (I think--but I'd have to check the chart).

Perhaps I use it wrong, but I'd like to know where you find out what EL is intended for? (not being sarcastic, just curious)

I look at WotC's site, and I see this, it tells me I use EL correctly, unless there's the 3 level diference in CRs between creatures in the group (in which case, the lower CRs don't really matter).

Again, out of curiosity, do you change the ELs listed in Dungeon adventures (for example), or do you just ignore them and calculate via CRs?

EDIT: For example, I see "weakened" owlbears in the Age of Worms adventures which list an EL lesser than the CR.

irdeggman

First Post
DMG pg 36

"A Challenge Rating is a measure of how easy or difficult a monster or trap is to overcome. Challenge Ratings are used to determine Encounter Levels, which in turn indicate how difficult an encounter (often involving multiple monsters) is to overcome."

Pg 42 has a Behind the Curtain: When a PC Falls Behind which should serve to talk about the superficial side of your issue.

Infiniti2000

First Post
andargor said:
Perhaps I use it wrong, but I'd like to know where you find out what EL is intended for? (not being sarcastic, just curious)
It's not intended for awarding XP and one can easily drum up a number of examples where it gives the wrong values. Maybe it all washes out in the end, but then again, maybe it doesn't. Just be careful about saying it's okay for others unless they also understand the potential pitfalls.

andargor said:
I look at WotC's site, and I see this, it tells me I use EL correctly, unless there's the 3 level diference in CRs between creatures in the group (in which case, the lower CRs don't really matter).
Exactly. The lower CR creature doesn't matter for EL, but it WOULD give more XP. You're effectively artificially reducing the XP awarded to the PC's despite the fact that they've earned it.

andargor said:
Again, out of curiosity, do you change the ELs listed in Dungeon adventures (for example), or do you just ignore them and calculate via CRs?
When I used published modules, I only use CR. I also use ad hoc adjustments, sometimes even suggested by the adventure author (like in RttToEE). I also use the EL as an initial estimate of the difficulty. If a player is missing that night, for example, I might offer an NPC to tag along if I know the upcoming EL's will be a little higher than normal.

Remove ads