Awesome features!!! - possibly "Ultimate" ???

Luke

Explorer
I've at last reached the point where RPM is revealing it's potential.

The link http://www.enworld.org/roleplayingmaster/preview/ contains samples (with screenshots) showing all the work I've been doing lately.

I haven't been able to find any other utility that comes even close to providing this level of computer assistance for everything from attacks, to skills to spell casting. All this includes the effects of feats, magical equipment, racial abilities etc. I think you'll be very impressed with RPM's grasp of RPG rules, and it's ability to process them quickly, comprehensively, and easily.

These features work at the gaming table whether fully managed (PCs entered into RPM, along with NPCs and monsters), or partially managed (either the DM, or a player, uses RPM to process their own side).

Although I've done a lot of work on this, I can certainly do a fair bit more on full database configuration, some more features, and general stability.
What I need to know though, is that all the effort is worthwhile, and if there's an even better way of doing all this.

If you could look at the preview link above, and give me some quick comments, it would be greatly appreciated.
I'd like to be able to call it "The Ultimate" utility some day soon, but without your general input that won't be possible.

Thanks,

Luke

Explorer
Well, I've got a few replies so far (only about 11), but the responses are positive - almost all saying "exactly what I'm looking for in an RPG tool", and a couple suggesting that it could be time to get a laptop for the gaming table.

Criticism would be especially welcome, with improvement suggestions, assuming that the samples and screenshots are enough to go by...

Regards,

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's looking remarkably powerful.

The thing is it's still very complicated to use - a very steep learning curve with loads of different tabs and buttons and icons etc.

I think that you way forward should be via wzard-based interfaces to accomplish what it does. The software itself should guide you through any given task that you wish to use it for. With its current functionality (incredible!) and a very easy to use interface, I think you'd really have the ultimate in RPG software.

Luke

Explorer
Morrus said:
It's looking remarkably powerful.

The thing is it's still very complicated to use - a very steep learning curve with loads of different tabs and buttons and icons etc.

I think that you way forward should be via wzard-based interfaces to accomplish what it does. The software itself should guide you through any given task that you wish to use it for. With its current functionality (incredible!) and a very easy to use interface, I think you'd really have the ultimate in RPG software.

Thanks Morrus!

My approach has always been to get the functionality in first, and fix up the interface later based on that. It can be frustrating, but there are reasonable reasons for it. The best reason I have is that people tend to have their own style when playing. I want to be able to have RPM work in with whatever style that is, and await specific suggestions on how people think interface changes would better suit them.

Part of the reason that there are so many screens and buttons available is that you do need it to support the level of automation that RPM has, particularly since it's openly extendable and configurable (house rules, and different source books etc).
As a combat example, you can write a program that simply lists the different creatures and allows you to edit in final initiatives and hp damage from round to round. RPM on the other hand, will work EVERYTHING out for you. In the initiative example, you supply the D20 roll, and RPM works out all the other factors (dex adjustments, feats, class abilities etc). This is especially useful for combat, when you tell RPM you pick up 2 weapons for attack, and it works out all the modifiers including 2 weapon penalties, feats (2 weapon & ambidex.) etc etc.
If you create such a program, and you promise that it can be configured, you end up with lots of screens and options.
Selecting the right "Preference" when you start up, though, can significantly reduce the number of buttons initially facing you.

As another example, I'm just finalizing the "Damage" window now. You might think "Oh, that's where I edit a single edit control for the number of hit points", but there's a LOT more to it than that.
In this case RPM can (for complex cases) build up a grid with several row entries, for different damage. An attack may have it's straight "Hp damage" entry, but also an entry for critical threat damage, and another for poison. Why? Because different types of damage affect different things, and different creatures in different ways. Skeletons suffer 1/2 damage from certain weapon damage types, certain creatures are unaffected by critical threat damage, and other creatures may be unaffected by cold damage.

The good news here is that RPM will build up the damage list, and also automatically apply the defender adjustments (eg. no critical, 1/2 fire damage etc). All you do is review the screen, and optionally type your own dice rolls in!

I do have a character/creature creation wizard, and virtually no others. The reason for this is again related to playing style. Wizards tend to force you to take a set of steps in a logical sequence, whereas RPM tends to allow you to do things in a very ad-hoc fashion. From my observations, ad-hoc fashion suits "seat of pants" gaming very well, where you can react to a situation and apply whatever effects are required.

With wizards, or anything else, any specific suggestions are most welcome.

Be assured, I am aware of the need to improve the overall interface. It's currently undergoing playtesting, and certain screens are disappearing altogether, whilst others are getting some extra options on them. Lots of stream-lining is happening, which is a little bit like having wizards.

At this stage, I'm particularly interested in what people think of the "Action screen" (attacks, spells and skills processing), as per the preview.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Remove ads