awkward situation

pukunui

Legend
Yeah, that was dumb. I am planning on using that part to finish off this act of the campaign, but I won't have them get transported to Thay afterwards. (I'm going to be running Storm King's Thunder next.)

pukunui

Legend
So as it happens, when we began tonight's session, the players decided *not* to take a long rest in the leader's room after all. They decided to risk it, and went back out into the mines, found the rest of the duergar, and while two of the PCs went down, none of them died and they were able to defeat the duergar and save the villagers. Yay!

Oofta

Legend
So as it happens, when we began tonight's session, the players decided *not* to take a long rest in the leader's room after all. They decided to risk it, and went back out into the mines, found the rest of the duergar, and while two of the PCs went down, none of them died and they were able to defeat the duergar and save the villagers. Yay!

Yep, never assume you know what the players are going to do. ;)

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Sounds like a fun session!! It's always a good practice to try to anticipate so things are a bit more manageable at the table and you're not totally winging it (which isn't one of my strong points - lol).

pukunui

Legend
I like how you gave them the choice and they reacted to it naturally. That's awesome!
Well, I figured that since they'd made the decision to take a long rest in the room at the end of last session, when it was late and everyone was tired, that I might as well give them the option of reconsidering when they were feeling fresher. They agreed that it wasn't necessarily the smartest idea and decided to be bold and it paid off well for them.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Well, I figured that since they'd made the decision to take a long rest in the room at the end of last session, when it was late and everyone was tired, that I might as well give them the option of reconsidering when they were feeling fresher. They agreed that it wasn't necessarily the smartest idea and decided to be bold and it paid off well for them.
Now the statistician in me wants to design a survey to find out if D&D groups call for Rests more often when the players are tired...

I'm glad the group got out of their pickle.
I still enjoy throwing ideas out there ('exercise is good for you' and all that) even if they aren't used in the end.

Gotta say, the first scenario reminded me instantly of The Warriors. One gang of orcs could have been pursued by the others - or the party are the Warriors. Maybe adapt for duergar. While they rested up, the duergar could devolve into factions having had a moot to elect a leader (which failed), and they chase the party in different ways? Just a spitball.

stoneagewar3

First Post
Now the statistician in me wants to design a survey to find out if D&D groups call for Rests more often when the players are tired...

I'm glad the group got out of their pickle.
I still enjoy throwing ideas out there ('exercise is good for you' and all that) even if they aren't used in the end.

i know for sure that my group does, the only time they asked for a rest when they were fresh was when the party warlock dumped all his spell slots to cast spiderclimb in order to help the party overcome a cliff (party has a cavalier, and he couldn't think of a way to get his horse up the cliff)

Remove ads