Axis & Allies

Rune

Once A Fool
In a manner of speaking. You can just ignore them. Easily.
One other thing about that game, though: It shifts the purchase phase to the end of the turn for ease of teaching/streamlined play. This has nothing to do with the zombies, though.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
It's been a bit since my last game of A&A. I do fondly remember the Red October....the Russian submarine that had the hottest die and was the solo terror of the North Atlantic sinking the entire German navy.

I've moved on to different games o we time and offer a suggestion that if you want to take a small step up in complexity with a step down in scale, check out Memoir 44. The base game comes with Americans and Germans but you can add as many other facets as you want if you get into the system.

The card play mixed with the die rolling makes it a game with a little more strategy and a little less hoping for good dice luck.

I still like A&A, it's just not the type of game we play much anymore.

ccs

41st lv DM
One of my circles of friends & I have been playing A&A about every 6 weeks or so for the past several years.
This past year, with everything shut down due to the pandemic, we actually played more - every three weeks on average.

Our usual version of choice is the A&A anniversary edition. But we've got them all.
A&A+zombies & 1914 see a decent amount of play.

On A&A 1914: My personal opinion on this one is that it takes nearly as long to play as it did to fight WWI. But several of the group rather like it, so....

practicalm

Explorer
I was in a group that used to play "World in Flames" That's a World War 2 game with teeth. Way more complex than A&A.
You could try Hearts of Iron from Paradox. That has been an interesting play.
Or maybe A World at War

Zardnaar

Legend
I was in a group that used to play "World in Flames" That's a World War 2 game with teeth. Way more complex than A&A.
Or maybe A World at War

Hearts of Iron has issues basically it's to complex.

I liked Hearts of Iron II own 3 and 4 but can't get into them.

I don't mind onplex but they added a while lot if micro to an already micro intensive game.

Ymmv may vary of course.

Or maybe A World at War
b5b26a6e2c6e198a1324eeb9e91ffc36.jpg

World in flames you say lol

A world at War:
Four 22"x30" full-color mapsheets
OTHER
12 Player Aid Cards
196-page Rulebook
72-page Status Sheet booklet
24-page Research and Diplomacy booklet
24-page Scenario booklet
8 six-sided dice

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Have played a ton of A&A and own all versions save zombies.

I grew tired of it with global. It was a bad initial set up and the rules fixes and set up fixes made it weird.

I think A&A anniversary or 1914 are the better ones. But have not played in a few years. If I had the time to burn I’d play war of the ring instead!

as something between A&A and world in flames was Europe Engulfed. I sold it and regret it. Hard to get now.

my other problem was that one buddy broke it. He studied and played it so much that he knew the optimal moves well in advance. The exploration portion was gone for me. It became less immersive and more formulaic.

casually played? Most of them would yield hours of enjoyment.

Rune

Once A Fool
my other problem was that one buddy broke it. He studied and played it so much that he knew the optimal moves well in advance. The exploration portion was gone for me. It became less immersive and more formulaic.

casually played? Most of them would yield hours of enjoyment.
It is my experience that there are no optimal moves. Optimal strategies? Yes, especially for the smaller games.

But doing the exact same things the same way over and over again? Only works until someone discovers what makes it weak.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases