• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

B4:The Lost City and the water problem (possible minor spoiler)

bento

Explorer
Stress or Ignore

I'm running this currently with a group of 4th level players.

The original module starts out that the players are lost in the desert, out of water for two days and stumble across the pyramid's opening. You can play this two ways:

1). Stress to the players that they are extremely parched and hungry. If they don't get food and drink soon they'll die. This will get them more willing to barter or work with one (or several) of the factions found within the pyramid. "You give us food and water and we'll take out some of those Zargonian priests bothering you."

2). Ignore the water problem as you would encumberance or other bookkeeping issues.​
BTW - in Dungeon 141 from January 2007 the adventure "Mask of Dreams" offers an alternative intro to B4. I'm using this and have changed out the monsters to make it more of a challenge to my players. So far we're having a blast.

Pbartender

First Post
Allensh said:
However, in 3.x, clerics get 3 0-level spells at 1st level...one of which is Create Water. This allows the cleric to create 2 gallons of water per day, for a total of six gallons if he uses all three 0-level spell slots. I am thinking this is going to kind of mess up the "we need to find water SOON" idea...

Remember, the spell creates water, but not something to carry it in...

DM: "You're in the middle of the desert with no food and no water."

CLERIC: "I cast create water."

DM: "A big puddle of water appears out of nowhere in front of you... and drains away into the sand before you can do more than wet your lips."

CLERIC: "Okay everybody, have we got anything we can carry water in?"

frankthedm

First Post
Scope out this thread for more stories about this module http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=111875

IMHO desert regions should impede the create water spell as on Dark Sun. Then again I am annoyed WOTC made water a handwaved issue by making that damned spell so low.

As for other methods to get the PC's in there, stress that the sandstorms have uncovered the city and there may be very little time to come back to the Pyramid.

The caster level check to prevent the spell form being tainted with
Zargon's
slime is a cool idea.

Here was a map I did of the Evil Cult's temple deep in the city.

http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=24699

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads