D&D 4E Baba Yaga's Dancing Hut 4E

MaximumHavoc

First Post
The WOTC sneak peak refers to the adventure as "a faithful 4th Edition Adaption." Given that the 4e versions of many monsters are not of identical power levels as the original monsters, how much adapting did you have to do?

Will Doyle

Explorer
Great stuff - I look forward to reading this!

When I was a kid, I had this awesome Eastern European picture book about Baba Yaga. According to this version of the story, Baba Yaga's cat gives the captive child a comb for helping it, which turns into a forest when thrown to the ground. I actually used this in a D&D 3.5 campaign as a mysterious magic item - which was used to perfection to spring a load of slaves. The look on the player's face when I described the forest rising from the earth was priceless.

I wish I still had that picture book though.

Shiv

Explorer
The WOTC sneak peak refers to the adventure as "a faithful 4th Edition Adaption." Given that the 4e versions of many monsters are not of identical power levels as the original monsters, how much adapting did you have to do?

The level range of the adventure was determined based on what level the 4E versions of the monsters in the original adventure are. This was done with an eye toward using as many of the same monsters as were used in the original as possible.

Obviously, though, some substitutions came into play. Also, since 4E encounter design is quite different from early edition encounter design, some encounters were changed significantly, to fall more in line with 4E design precepts.

But, in general, it's a pretty faithful adaptation, often in actual specifics, and when that's not possible, at least in spirit.

Shiv

MaximumHavoc

First Post
The level range of the adventure was determined based on what level the 4E versions of the monsters in the original adventure are. This was done with an eye toward using as many of the same monsters as were used in the original as possible.

Obviously, though, some substitutions came into play. Also, since 4E encounter design is quite different from early edition encounter design, some encounters were changed significantly, to fall more in line with 4E design precepts.

But, in general, it's a pretty faithful adaptation, often in actual specifics, and when that's not possible, at least in spirit.

Shiv
thank you for the answer.

i have often wondered about this very question with respect to updates of old adventures.

Riastlin

First Post
Based on some of your previous responses I'm guessing you may not be able to answer this, but its worth a shot. Other than "paragon tier" can you say the actual level range? While I agree that epic tier needs a lot of support, I actually think the same can be said for mid-high paragon, so hopefully I'll still be happy. :)

Shiv

Explorer
Based on some of your previous responses I'm guessing you may not be able to answer this, but its worth a shot. Other than "paragon tier" can you say the actual level range? While I agree that epic tier needs a lot of support, I actually think the same can be said for mid-high paragon, so hopefully I'll still be happy. :)

I think I'm gonna avoid getting that specifc so that I don't step on my NDA's toes and wake it up.

And keep in mind, adjusting monsters/encounters up or down a few levels isn't too difficult.

Riastlin

First Post
I think I'm gonna avoid getting that specifc so that I don't step on my NDA's toes and wake it up.

And keep in mind, adjusting monsters/encounters up or down a few levels isn't too difficult.

Fair enough, and I agree that its usually easy enough to adjust things a few levels either way so I'm not too terribly worried, was more curious than anything.

In any event congrats on getting published!

Given that hut has legs I hope that you don't mean bowels literally...

In the 2E adventure by Smedman, there is a trap which can cause a PC to be teleported to inside their own intestines. Yeah, it is as bad for the PC as it sounds.

It is a very faithful adaptation. Take that as you will.

Hrm, as much as I like Smedman's old module - I praised it in my review podcast some months ago - I though the miniaturized version of Tokyo was silly in a bad way.

Last edited:

Remove ads