Backerkit Announces Crowd Funding Platform

At a time where both creators and backers are expressing reservations about Kickstarter, with issues surrounding adoption of blockchain technology, slow approval times for new campaigns, frustrating or boilerplate responses from staff, lack of safety tools for creators, and creator tools which don't match up to those of other crowdfunding platforms, no competitor has yet managed to compete well (at least in the tabletop gaming space) due to Kickstarter's large market share of that industry.

Companies like IndieGoGo, Gamefound, Game On Tabletop, and others do provide similar services but Kickstarter still reigns supreme in terms of dollars earned, making it hard for creators to jump ship. Other companies have experimented with building crowdfunding functionality into their own online stores.

Blog-1-hero-crowdfunding-by-backerkit.png

The latest crowdfunding platform comes from Backerkit, a company whose pledge fulfillment services many creators and backers will be familiar with. And they've already got a whole bunch of companies on board for their next campaigns -- including TTRPG companies like Monte Cook Games, and baordgame companies like Greater Than Games.

Whether Backerkit has the oomph to compete with Kickstarter remains to be seen, but given that a large percentage of Kickstarter creators and backers already use Backerkit for pledge fulfillment and are already part of its ecosystem (we at ENP use its 'Backerkit Launch' feature for every campaign), they might have a chance. And competition is good for the customer who, in this case, are both the creators and the backers.

Backerkit already offers launch, pledge management, pre-order, and marketing functionality which Kickstarter doesn't, and is used by many campaigns for those services. The only part of that they don't currently do is the actual crowdfunding phase. Having that tie directly into the other services means that a creator can use one company for the whole process.

They're not launching new campaigns yet (although they have that long list of creators they've already talked to and have invited a small number to come on board early), but they plan to open up 'more broadly' in early 2023. Right now there is a site with six projects running from Publishing Goblin, Westley Coleman, Anthony Qualkinbush, Jason Furie, Roll & Play Press, and Corviforms, and over 20 upcoming projects including The Weird by Monte Cook Games.

Last edited:

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I'm intrigued. I've used Backer Kit for pledge management and the experience has been much better than Kickstarter. More tools, and they actually provide real feedback as opposed to the cut and paste notes I usually get from Kickstarter.

And since they are already have a relationship with so many backers and creators, I think they might actually be able to give Kickstarter a run for its money funding wise.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Offering aa total package with front end and back end support makes a lot of sense to.me. Backerkot has handled just about every Kickstarter thst I have been involved in.

dbm

Savage!
Our IndieGoGo campaign is currently on track to make 1/45th of a similar Kickstarter (yup, a nearly 50x difference).
Out of interest, do Kickstarter prohibit cross promotion to other platforms? If they don’t it would seem easy to at least make your past-backers aware of what is coming to a different platform?

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Just backed a project there two days ago!

It is a followup to a successful Kickstarter campaign from a year or two ago. So they were able to use updates to that campaign to drive attention to the new site.
FWIW, I backed that Travel Wallet Kickstarter, and the people involved were easy to work with and the wallets were quality products.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
For me it’s more the way every other platform is better than Kickstarter in every measurable way… except they don’t make money. Our IndieGoGo campaign is currently on track to make 1/45th of a similar Kickstarter (yup, a nearly 50x difference). I really want to see real competition.
Kickstarter is for better or for worse where the people are at. Indiegogo seems to have a bad rep compared to Kickstarter for folks - a perception that they allow more scammy projects than Kickstarter does seems to exist (based on what I'm not sure).

Backerkit might be able to break that wall. It's a company that a lot of folks who back projects on Kickstarter already know and might be more comfortable with. If Backerkit can't do it it's hard to see who could.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Kickstarter is for better or for worse where the people are at. Indiegogo seems to have a bad rep compared to Kickstarter for folks - a perception that they allow more scammy projects than Kickstarter does seems to exist (based on what I'm not sure).

Backerkit might be able to break that wall. It's a company that a lot of folks who back projects on Kickstarter already know and might be more comfortable with. If Backerkit can't do it it's hard to see who could.
You literally just repeated my article back to me. :)

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases