Backgrounds: Use 'Em or Lose 'Em?

How often do you (or your players) use Background elements?

• Every decision hinges on a background element.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Most PC role-playing involves the background.

Votes: 33 35.5%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • It comes up. Sometimes.

Votes: 53 57.0%
  • What's a background?

Votes: 5 5.4%

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
In my games, I have backgrounds on my go-to list for whenever I want to add extra meaning to a scene or look to flesh out options for progress.

It's no effort really for a GM to say "you find the contact in the bar and..." then decide to make the next part of that paragraph relate to a PzC background instead of describing a generic new NPC. It just requires paying attention.
Does the DMG mention backgrounds, mechanically or in the general sense? I can see the authors ignoring mechanical (flaws, bonds, etc.) background since they're optional, but there should at least be a sidebar or inset for them. Really, if you build an adventure (or tailor an adventure module) and don't include any background items, you've probably done something wrong.

I find the list, as a GM, a little intimidating though. Say you have four players, by six background items (including alignment and the background's name). Can you grab 1 item out of 24 as a hook, without concern that it might be tied to or complicate at least one of the others? Could you use any items, plot-wise, or should you be using some over others?

5ekyu

Hero
Does the DMG mention backgrounds, mechanically or in the general sense? I can see the authors ignoring mechanical (flaws, bonds, etc.) background since they're optional, but there should at least be a sidebar or inset for them. Really, if you build an adventure (or tailor an adventure module) and don't include any background items, you've probably done something wrong.

I find the list, as a GM, a little intimidating though. Say you have four players, by six background items (including alignment and the background's name). Can you grab 1 item out of 24 as a hook, without concern that it might be tied to or complicate at least one of the others? Could you use any items, plot-wise, or should you be using some over others?
In my games, I dont try and make alignment a plot isdue. So that's not an issue.

I expect the character beliefs and outlooks to be reflected in other aspects.

But for me, I just keep my dozens list handy, replacing items as needed, then draw and run with it. Tie-ins and call-backs and resonance etc all work forward in play as we see how much they choose to engage the bits. After all, they may choose to ignore them or delay them... maybe forgetting later.

Remove ads